Install V5.2.2 on LMDE6 (Debian)

Exactly, You understood that correctly :wink:

@emyouulation that’s exactly how it is for me.

Now that 5.2.2 is installed, can I delete the directories .gramps/gramps42 and also .gramps/gramps51?

In principle, yes, but in this case, I would keep the one for gramps51, just in case there are some filters there that you want to transfer to Gramps 5.2. We may have tools for that, but I have not tried those myself.

@emyoulation mentioned a custom_filters.xml file, and that file is version specific, meaning that you probably have one in the gramps51 directory. And maybe you can simply copy that to the gramps52 directory, and see what it does, but I have no idea whether that really works.

I would also recommend that you remove the Prerequisites Checker Gramplet, because it shows many things that I don’t see as alarming myself. The new add-on manager can show you what the add-ons need, and if there is a real problem, an add-on can also show a pop-up telling you that it can’t start because something is missing.

Sometimes the terminal also tells you things, like about a missing PyICU, and IMO, that’s more than enough.

When it comes to dependencies, LMDE 6 can give you some problems that I don’t have with Mint 21.3, because they’re newer than the versions in ubuntu 22.04, which is the basis for Mint 21.3.

I see that too now.

Thanks for the helpful tips.

Handling Dependencies in Linux Mint

If you’re using Linux Mint 21.3 and testing with LMDE 6, here’s a simple way to manage dependencies:

When you install version 5.1.6 from the Debian software library, it automatically handles all dependencies. The dependencies needed for version 5.2.2 are the same as those for 5.1.6. So, if you install 5.2.2 without removing 5.1.6, all required dependencies should already be in place.

If you encounter any missing dependencies, please let me know.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.