Individuals whole data sheet - "hide images titles" option request

Exporting all data of an person as a textual output is possible right now using the “Print complete information of an person” option.
But i received one little issue, with very big impact on esthetic of this data-sheet using this option.

The issue is, there is simply no option to include pictures, but to hide/ignore the pictures general title.
Adding description and data of a picture to the individuals referenced attributes tab works perfect, but it still includes the title of a shared picture.
This in it’s turn leads to same titles of images for shared images in several individual’s data sheet’s.

Why this is an issue you may ask?!
Because, if you use a image with approximately 10 individuals and you name the file according to the locations, the people on image and the year - this over-bloats the title, but is slightly practical for image identification in media tab.

Although this title appears often very long and not appropriate for printing on every individuals sheet and not just for the reason of redundancy, but also because using individuals cropped image, not the whole media-file, it still prints the whole title.

So, an option to hide the image’s title, in the “complete data of an individual sheet” option would be sooooooooo wonderful, as it would make the whole printing way more better in terms of aesthetics.

Thank you for your being & stay healthy.

Edit:
The global title here should not display at all, may just adding global date, but not the title.
Bildschirmfoto zu 2020-10-18 19-39-55

Hi Roman,
As this report is part of Gramps itself it will take a long time before such a request will be implemented.
But, if you are able to modify a file you can do a quick an dirty solution yourself. Please, do this only if you have any experience with file editing or programming.
First, you have to find the file indivcomplete.py. In my linux environment it is in directory /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/textreport/
You have to copy this file and paste it in same directory with name like indivcomplete_orig.py
Now you have two same files in this directory and you are going to edit the file indivcomplete.py with a text editor (not Microsoft Word).
In the text editor you should look for line 615:
self.write_paragraph(description, style=‘IDS-ImageCaption’)
Put a ‘#’ character in front of it, like:
#self.write_paragraph(description, style=‘IDS-ImageCaption’)
Save the file, restart Gramps and create a new report.
The file references are not shown anymore.
After you have finished creating your reports, it is best to undo this solution by removing the # or by removing the file indivcomplete.py and renaming the file indivcomplete_orig.py into indivcomplete.py.

2 Likes

May you know the exactly command, for showing the pictures date?
I guess it should be something like;
self.do_date??(media.date()) ?
actually - I did not analyze the code :confused:. But I think it’s something similar to that.

I believe that the Image Metadata Gramplet looks at the various dates associated with an image: creation date, last modified date, …

Perhaps you could use it as sample code for how to access that.

1 Like

You asked to remove the title, did you succeed with that?
I am not sure what you mean with the ‘picture date’.
This could be either:

• the date a picture is created, for example a picture scanned from a newspaper.
  • the date a photo is taken.
  • the date a picture is stored on your harddisk…
    The individual_complete report uses the description you gave the picture in Media. If you only show a date there, you will only find a date in your report.
    I personally give each photo the following description in Media: Photo - - - -
    In this way, each image has its own date.

Yes, worked well, thank you.

Pictures date → Bildschirmfoto zu 2020-10-20 11-56-50

If you want to display the date instead of the description I think you want:

#self.write_paragraph(description, style='IDS-ImageCaption')
            date = self._get_date(media.get_date_object())
            self.write_paragraph(date, style='IDS-ImageCaption')
            utils.insert_image(self._db, self.doc, media_ref, self._user,
                                     align='center', w_cm=5.0, h_cm=5.0)
2 Likes