How to record honours in Gramps

Hi there. I am pretty new to Gramps and am busy entering details of my immediate family members to start with.
Back in 1968 my grandfather was awarded the MBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours, and I would like to record this event in Gramps.
My initial though was to record this as an event, but there is not a suitable event type. I guess I am not the first to want to record something like this - what have other people done?

Thanks in anticipation!
Julian

Gramps version 5.1.2
OS: Linux Mint 20.3 (I know, it’s about time I upgraded!)

Welcome!

For any Gramps Types, events, places, names, attributes. etc, you can add your own Custom entry. In the drop-down list, just type your entry in. Once added, it will be added to the drop-down list options.

I created a custom event type Award. I use the description field to describe what was awarded.

Note: Any custom entry will not translate. For most users this is not a problem but something to consider if this is important to you.

The addon Type Cleanup is a tool that you will want to install. It will allow you to fix spelling errors or to completely rename your custom types. Also allows you to delete ones that you decide to remove.

1 Like

We have a list of suggested Custom Event Types in the wiki. Creating a custom type of “Award” would work well.

Gedcom has a “TITL” individual attribute type which is described as “A formal designation used by an individual in connection with positions of royalty or other social status, such as Grand Duke.” This could work depending on how you interpret the phrase “other social status”, but it doesn’t seem quite right.

Ha! Easy as that - I should have thought of trying something like that.
Thanks for the very quick response.

Thanks for the quick reply - the custom event sounds like the way for me to go.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.