How change selected placenames before a certain date

Congratulations!

Now for lesson Alternative Names 102.

Currently you have the main entry Den Haag, after 1990-01-01
and two Alternative entries: 'S Gravenhage, between 1300-01-01 and 1990-01-01
and 'S Gravenhage with no date information.

A date after 1990 will return Den Haag and any other date (or no date) will return 'S Gravenhage.

You can delete the alternative name 'S Gravenhage with the dates leaving the 'S Gravenhage with no dates.

A date after 1990 will return Den Haag and any other date (or no date) will return 'S Gravenhage.

You will get the same results.

Some things to always keep in mind. The main Place Name entry is the name that will display in the raw place hierarchical list. In your Den Haag example, I would do it as you have done. It is the current name of the place.

But if you wanted to switch it around you could set up the record as:

Main place Name entry: 'S Gravenhage, between 1300-01-01 and 1990-01-01

Alternative name 1: Den Haag, after 1990-01-01
Alternative name 2: 'S Gravenhage with no date information

Again, a date after 1990 will return Den Haag and any other date (or no date) will return 'S Gravenhage

When setting up the place record, an event with no date will select the option as if the event date was 0001-01-01. This is why I like that last alternative entry to be a place name with no date information. If an alternative place name has a “before <date>” this will be the option selected for the event with no date; which may not be the name you want for that no date event. Something to think about.

1 Like

I keep this in mind. Thank you for the understandable explanation. :100:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.