Gramps can't see my mounted drives under Linux Mint for import

I’m moving from Windows 10 to Linux Mint. I have exported my data on Windows to a non-system SSD drive, which is then mounted under Linux. However GRAMPS (5.1.6) import under ‘Other Locations’ can only see ‘Computer’ and even that doesn’t show the mounted SSD drive. (When I run GRAMPS under ZORIN 17 it can see the additonal drive). Any or all help appreciated.

Can you show a screen shot of your file selector? Mine shows all external drives in the left column, just like they’re shown in Nemo.

My drives are all visible inside /media/enno, and I can access that folder via Computer.

How did you mount it? I just plug it in, and I’m using Mint 21.2 Cinnamon.

I know on a windows box, the drives have to be mounted before you start Gramps.

Hope these help. I’m also on Mint 21.2 Cinnamon. The disk in question is automatically mounted by the system via an entry in FSTAB.

Glad to hear that it works for someone. Is it a protection issue?

Yes, that’s fine. Its Linux Mint whereI’m having the problem

I’m not an experienced LINUX user so I don’t pretend to understand why, but there are two versions in the Software Manager - the System Package offering 5.1.5-1 of GRAMPS and the Flatpack version offering 5.1.6-1. I chose the Flatpack version which doesn’t show the external disk. I’ve replaced it with the System Package version and all is now visible. Don’t think that this is a GRAMPS issue but I would love to know the answer. Thanks for the replies.

I don’t think that it’s a protection issue, but if you mount it via fstab, it has a mount point, which I assume is just a place in your home folder, and not in the media one, where all automatic mounts seem to be added.

With fixed mounts, like yours, the mount table should reveal where it is. Can you check that?

As a software engineer, who started working with Unix (Ultrix) some 40 years ago, I really dislike flatpaks, because they add an extra layer, and I can’t use the commands that I’m used to. And it may be that that extra layer also gets in the way when Gramps wants to access the real file system. And as far as I know, we don’t build those flatpaks, so it’s a bit difficult to answer your question.

Note that, once you gain some trust in the system, you can install .deb files from our GitHub repository, or SourceForge, just like you were probably used to download Windows installers from trusted sites on the web. You must have been, because we never put Gramps in the Microsoft store, which I think is a bad place anyway, for a couple of reasons.

In that sense, it is quite weird that we’re so protective, sending ‘beginners’ to the official Linux repositories, even though we should know that many fellow genealogists come from Windows and know how to install a program downloaded from a 3rd party.

You can download our latest from here:

Be patient. Installing the newest version from Git on Mint needs some manual installing. It’s better to not use that version for Linux beginners.

Thanks for the reply. I’m happy to use the “system” version rather than the “flatpack” and will do some more research into the ‘dark arts’ of Linux!!

1 Like

Thanks for the advice.

Note that if you install 5.1.5 from the Linux repositories, it will install some extra libraries. And they will not disappear when you install 5.1.6 from the downloaded .deb file later.

Also, some add-ons require libraries that are not installed with Gramps in either case. And for those, you can often find directions here, or on the wiki.

Here’s another question: Why did you create an entry in FSTAB? All Mint versions that I know mount external disks or thumb drives automatically by themselves, and in your case, that disk would appear inside /media/john

Your screen does not show such a folder, but if you mount the disk via FSTAB, it does have a mount point, somewhere.

I didn’t create an entry in FSTAB as it was already there. However the MEDIA directory didn’t show up on the GRAMPS version I was using. I have now moved away from the FLATHUB version and all is well. Thanks for the conversation.

OK, I get it, but I’m still curious. And that is, because if it’s in fstab, it has a mount point, which is listed in the 2nd column of the fstab file. And your experience suggests that it can’t be found at that mount point, or that a flatpak app can’t find it there.

And that is so weird, that I really need to ask you for details, again, for the simple reason that it can help other users.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.