Google Summer of Code

Is anyone interested in participating in the Google Summer of Code?

“Google Summer of Code is a global program focused on bringing more student developers into open source software development. Students work with an open source organization on a 3 month programming project during their break from school.”

As an organisation we meet the requirements of being open source and have released a product.

In order to participate we would need two organisation administrators and at leat one mentor. Details of these roles can be found in the mentor guide.

Essentially the mentor needs to be a developer who has knowledge of the code, and the administrators just need organisational skills. A mentor can also be an organisation administrator.

If there is any interest I can write an ideas list. We could always use someone to write a new visualisation for example, but any other ideas are welcome.

The deadline for organisations to sign up is 5th February, so we need to act quickly if we are interested.

If you are a student reading this, and would like to do some work for us, please also reply.

2 Likes

Since there have been no volunteers, we will not be able to participate this year.

However, I did receive emails from a couple of students who read my post through reddit. Perhaps some students may be interested in doing some unpaid work for us over their Summer break? I suggest we create a wiki page of ideas anyway.

I’ll continue to investigate possibilities for next year.