Fan Chart Doesn't Display name correctly

Hello, I am using version GrampsAIO64-5.1.3-2 (64bit) on a Windows 10 computer. I am new to the program (1 day). I notice that the Ancestor Fan Chart doesn’t show full surnames in generation boxes more than 5 generations out being truncated. Is there anyway I can make the boxes bigger so they show the names in full please. Many thanks and stay safe.

Welcome

Unfortunately, for something like a Fan Chart, the real estate for each person’s box is finite. But there are some things you can try.

For every view, there will be a Configure View button Gramps-config in the tool bar. This will allow settings unique to the view.

Switching the Fan Chart view to a full circle will increase the space for each box. You can also change how many generations to display. And lastly, you can experiment with the font used. Some fonts are naturally more condensed than others and this may help in the earlier generations.

ChartsCategory-FanChartView-ConfigureCharts-dialog-default-51

1 Like

Are you asking about the Chart view Fan mode (Ancestor, Descendant, & 2-way) or the Graphical Report?

The Chart view is very limited by the screen resolution & is not ‘zoomable’. The report has more scalable fonts. (Note that there is a pending patch for finer text rotations in the Fan Chart report posted on GitHub. And another for larger arc than 180° overhangs)

1 Like

Apple 5.1.6
When printing a Fan chart some boxes are left very small with no names in. From the program you can hover above and see the names but during an export the boxes are left blank and so no names can be seen. Yes the circle will be bigger but I do want to see all the names if possible.

There is an extended (but ultimately inconclusive) discussion about scaling the labeling in charts. The discussion is about scaling up to Poster Sized … but the issues also apply to labels not being fitted at European A4 and US letter sizes… or even onscreen:

Alternatively, you could use a pedigree chart. It may not be as visually appealing as an ancestor fan chart, but it’s the same set of people, if your primary goal is to share the information with others. You would have to use a custom page size to get it all on one page, which is fine for sharing as a PDF but not as good for printing.

Thanks for that info.