Clear db to import a .gpkg

Hi
gramps Version 5.1.5 - OS Win 10

I want to clean up the installation on my wife’s Win so I can import a .gpkg from my Linux machine.
How do I proceed … I confess - I am a WIN dummy

sorry for asking …

I found a workaround.
I created a new db and deleted the old one. :disguised_face: :sunglasses:

That is not a workaround.

That is what we would have recommended.

1 Like

Are you aware of the fact that importing a .gpkg creates a new media folder with the name of the backup file? There’s a chance that it will disappear inside your users folder, where it is out of sight.

On a windows machine it will be created at:

C:\Users\%username%\

That’s right, and it means that most users won’t see it, because the Documents, Pictures, and other folders sit inside this one, and those are the only folders that you normally see.

It seems like Media Management is an Enhancement that could be discussed for .gpkg imports. It would be useful to have the option to skip Media on import… or to import JUST media… or the ability to specify the destination folder for Media.

Likewise on export, an option to export JUST media and to split the .tar.gz format of the .gpkg archive into manageable segments. Seems like a segmented option (which would always have the tree in the 1st segment and media in following segments) would be a good alternative too.

Note that compression is optional (with gzip) in .gramps XML format but mandatory (with .tar.gz) in .gpkg format.

Thanks,
But then I can be glad that I found the solution myself :wink:

That’s right, and I think that it should be, because the way backups with media are restored now has serious consequences for people that don’t have a feeling for what’s going on under the hood. They end up with all sorts of weird media paths, pointing to files sitting outside the Documents folder that they’re used to on Linux and Windows. I can’t speak for macOS, but I bet it’s the same.

As a developer, I can understand what we have now, where restoring to a path named after the backup file is a sure way to prevent overwriting existing data, but it’s a sure way to create a mess too.

And personally, I always advise to create backups without media, and backup, copy, or move, your media folders using standard means, like cloud services, external drives, etc.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.