Changing interface items

g’day folks Just getting used to gramps and putting in lots of places. is there any way to edit the types list ( country, state, city, etc) Here in Australia we commonly refer to suburbs but thats not in the list so i’d like to add it instead of using alternatives that are American and not used here.

Also a feature suggestion i have is a gps lookup for locations to populate with high precision with the appropriate format good enough to handle street addresses. I assume this has already been suggested by others.

Just type in the new “Custom” Type instead of picking from the pull-down menu. From that point forward, it will be included at the bottom of the pull-down menu. (For the US, I added “Township” and “Cemetery”)

There are a couple of GPS lookup addons for Places using the GeoName and GetGov addons. Haven’t seen a gazetteer tool that goes as fine as the street address resolution.

Thanks but i see no “custom” anywhere in the place tool im on windows x64 gramps v5.1.6-1 btw. I cant see it anywhere, what am i missing?

There is nothing labeled “Custom”. Just type in a new name for a “Type:” in the box to the left of the pop-up menu button. (highlighted in Green below where I’ve keyed in “Cemetery” to add a new custom type of Place)

This is a standard feature in Gramps. Any selector of this style allows entry of a new Custom Type in addition to selecting from a list of known types.

1 Like

Welcome to Gramps @sjbolton , I imagine for someone used to Windows there is some adjustment to apps with linux origins like Gramps. Don’t worry, you will get used to the different way of doing things if you stick with it. Emyoulation is a good guy, very helpful.

As for GPS coordinates the method in Gramps 5.1 is through the Preferences. To get there, if you look at the “edit” drop down menu, then go to “Preferences”, a new window will pop up. If you select the “General” tab, at the bottom will be “Third Party Addons Management”. Adjust the update settings however you like, then click the “Check for updated addons” button" and yet another window will pop up (all of those pop up windows in Gramps are an easier way to design things with the graphical interface language that Gramps uses). Click the arrow to the left of whatever type of addon you want to browse. I noticed placename related addons in both the Gramplet and the Tool sections. Some addons require the installation of extra libraries, especially the ones pertaining to things like databases or graphs.

The upcoming Gramps 5.2 makes it a lot easier to find addons, by giving them a menu bar icon rather than making users look in Preferences like I just described.

Personally, I just use a browser to check Google maps or Wikipedia for GPS coordinates. I have dealt with the frustration of another Windows based genealogy program stripping out all of the GPS coordinates I spent hours inputting into Gramps when I transferred the GEDCOM file between programs. Just be aware of that possibility if you consider going back to something like Rootsmagic or Legacy.

1 Like

thanks! I feel so stupid but yeah its not typical windows behaviour, I’ve seen this before but never been taught a name for it. should probably have a default entry selected called"type here to add new item to list" to train people. not a gramps issue. really my issue and thanks so much for the clearer explanation.
Still working through video tutorials and learning much as i go even though i want to rush ahead I’m always finding little things like this that really help and they give me an idea of how others are using Gramps and approaching their data.
you guys here really seem a great helpful community. Thanks again!

1 Like

We’ve all been there.

I went through the Visual Guide to the Interface. That guide (and the Glossary) was created because you cannot ask about an interface item (or look it up) if you don’t know what the item is called.

That guide lacks any labeled Object Editor screen captures. So there isn’t a basic introduction of the common elements.

Another item to document! Thanks for flagging that absence.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.