Can multiple media folders be consolidated into one

I created bootable Linux mint and installed gramps 5.1.6 with data. I noticed the media comprises multiple folders. I cleaned up few small ones successfully but I’m left with two large media folders that wish if possible consolidate into one folder without corrupting the gallery

There is the Media Verify addon tool to assist you.

Step 1: Make sure you have a backup of Gramps before starting. It is a good idea to do a media backup as it currently exists too. Better safe than sorry.

Step 2: Run the MV Generate option. this will ensure that the checksum of the raw media file agrees with the checksum stored in the Gramps media record.

Step 3: Consolidate the media files on the hard drive into the desired folder and any subfolders.

Step 4: Set the main media folder as the Base Media Path in Preferences. In 5.1 it was still on the General tab. newer versions the Base Media Path is set on the Family Tree tab.

Step 5: Run the MV Verify option. The tool will use the checksum to scour the base media path to locate all of the files. The tool will display various tabs detailing what it found. One tab will be a tab of moved or renamed files. The Fix option will update the path in the Gramps record to match the path on the hard drive.

Other tabs may list any files the tool could not find on the hard drive. If there are any, you can investigate manually. No Fix option. Likewise, it could identify files in the drive folder that are not in Gramps. Again, you can investigate but any action you take will be a manual ‘fix’.

Thanks Dave for the tool. Unfortunately the two files have over 200 photos each and I was hoping for an easy merger. I may just leave them be and not create additional corruptions

Again thank you so much for your response

I have used the tool on thounds of records.

As an alternative, you can still move the files then use the Media Manager tool’s string search and replace.

The search and replace works on the stored path field. Enter the old information to be replaced by the new path.