Beta1 "Highlights" - Linked for Feedback

Continuing the discussion from Gramps v5.2.0-beta1 released:

@Nick-Hall Could you swap in the above text into your 5.2 announcement? Since 5.2 documentation hasn’t made it to the wiki, people will want to read the development discussion to determine if they found a bug or misunderstood the feature.

Can the insertion be added to whatever generates your lists? More specific info will probably be needed for the final 5.2 Release notice too.

For everyone, I will try to do a posting with each section of the Announcement as an anchor for threaded discussions. Then backfill the links.

The ChangeLog is created automatically from the commit messages. Then I edit it manually to create the NEWS file. Finally, I add some markdown when creating the release announcements.

The release announcement on Github is then used as a basis for other announcements.

Is it possible to tweak the underlying data that drives the commit messages? The “strikethrough, superscript & subscript” message won’t be any more obvious that it is a Note Editor enhancement when the release notes for the final candidate are generated.

And from the sheer volume of changes, there are hundreds of WikiContributor workhours before it will adequately cover 5.2 release. So, at least in the beginning, bullet points in the release notes will probably need to point to the PR or feature request discussions.

I knew being at my normal level of anal retentiveness would hurt me! :wink:

It already kept me from learning enough to finish updating the copy of the “What’s next?” gramplet that would’ve helped Newbies.

No. Once they are merged they cannot be changed.

Good commit messages are important as described in our committing policies.

We can always re-write release announcements though. You can write the 5.2.0 release announcement for me if you want.