Best practice for migrating from Ahnenblatt

Do you think I can just remove the relative paths stored in _ALTPATH and let the importer evaluate the absolute paths stored in FILE?

I am not using the $HOME environment variable here. I specified the absolute path on disc.

Yes, absolutely. If the files exist in the path specified in that FILE line, they will be found. You can also leave the _ALTPATH lines and delete the GEDCOM import notes afterwards, that’s up to you.

When I read the feature request, I don’t see many other interesting tags, except for the _RUFNAME. We have a field for that, that only supports the German variant, but I suspect that the _RUFNAME tag will not be imported into that field.

In my country, the call name is often a shortened version of one of the official given names, so that works different from the German one.

1 Like

I just checked two GEDCOM files, one exported by RootsMagic, and the other by Gramps, and I see full paths in both. And I know that most of my paths in Gramps are relative.

The latter can lead to some surprising results, and some my paths in Gramps have …/… in the GEDCOM. That is because they actually refer to files outside the base path.

P.S. where you see three dots, I actually typed two. The extra one is probably because Discourse treats these as markup.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.