Basic doubts when starting

Hello, I am new to using this program, but with many years of genealogy research.
Usage W11 and GRAMPS: AIO64-5.1.5-1
Excuse me, I use a translator as English is not my mother tongue.
I have several doubts, I hope you can solve them or tell me where I can find a solution, if there is one.

• Can I put colors for the branches of my 4 grandparents?
  • I want places to appear in the graphs (only the date appears).
  • I need to see the Sosa numbers always and everywhere.
    To train myself, I have created a small tree with my parents and grandparents. In the Board it appears [Missing surname] It is not really true, they are all there, how can I correct it?

Thank you very much

1 Like

Hello and welcome!

In the Charts view, select View → Configure. Some of the charts, such as the Graph View, let you include places:

The surname is a separate data entry field:

Is that where you entered it?

You can tag people and choose what color you want for each tag. See how the names are colored in this example. The tags can also appear in many other views.

1 Like

Gramps supports several genealogical numbering systems in various reports.

Since the numbering systems are based on a reference person (a progenitor for descendant numbering systems; a center person for ancestor numbering systems) and that reference person can easily be changed before running a report, the numbers are not normally stored as the “Gramps ID”.

The Gramps ID is normally automatically assigned in sequential order to each new record following the ID Formats specified in the Gramps Preferences.

However, you can override this and assign the ID manually. Just type in the ID that you want to use in to the ID field. This can be done during creation of a record… or any time later. The ID simply must be unique.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your prompt response.
We identify ourselves, always, with double surname, the paternal and maternal. We do not lose our last names when we get married. I reflect it like this

But because of the Implexus, there are always individuals who carry more than one Sosa no. If we use only one Sosa no., one of the descendants does not fulfill the rule of 2n, or 2n+1.
Thanks

You can use the “Rest” keyword in the Display Name Editor to show all of the surnames.

Edit → Preferences → Display Name Editor

1 Like

You might want to look at the Display tab Gramps Preferences option for Surname Guessing. It allows selecting a different cultural bias for the guess when adding New persons via the Edit Family dialog.

I realize your point is about Married Names rather than inherited names. But this feature is peripherally related.

1 Like

I am not talking about married surnames. I am talking about inherited surnames, like this:
Father: Oliver Brown
Mother: Mary Davies
Son: Jack Brown Davies
Daughter: Diana Brown Davies
Sons and daughters keep their birth names throughout their lives; marital status does not change them.
Greetings

Whoops, reversed the point that I had intended to say.

I’m not sure Gramps is able to automatically add father’s name and mother’s name to chidren’s name like it does automatically for father’s name.

Something discussed here:

Even display parameters from preferences can’t do that I think.

Maybe @emyoulation knows some other discussions or wiki entries about that??

1 Like

There have been a variety it items addressing the “Combination of mother’s and father’s surname” Gramps Preferences Display tab option for “Surname guessing”. But that feature was already in the earliest online documents for Gramps 2.2 from 2008. Which certainly predates my experience with Gramps.

The patches for the following resolved bug is helpful for locating the pertinent code.

https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=9612

0009612: Problem adding parents - Gramps - Bugtracker – Free Genealogy Software

1 Like

There is a way to have Gramps give children both Father’s and Mother’s name. This works best if you are entering in all the children at the same time.

Set the father’s name entry with the way you want the children’s names. With surname guessing set to the father’s, the children will get the father’s name as set. You would just have to reverse the father’s name back to his regular setting.

As I said, this only makes sense if you are entering several children at the same time.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.