Ancestor reports started producing duplicate entries

Dear Gramps community,

After recently entering new people into my database, I am starting to always get duplicate entries in my detailed and normal Ancestor text reports. I have tried all utilities to see whether some data inconsistency might be present, but nothing was flagged as being suspicious.

Graphs, graphical reports, and the Gramps UI do not show these duplicates, nor does anything seem “wrong” in those reports… (also descendant reports seem to work fine)

How to best procede to fix the reports? What might be a culprit? Thanks in advance for all suggestions!

Running Gramps 5.1.5 on Win 10.

Hm, I might have spotted what might be causing it - at one point, two cousins married. Inevitably, a bit up the tree the same people are present twice. Checking and unchecking the box for “omit duplicate ancestors” only determines whether they get listed twice with all the details, or whether the second entry only says “same person as [foo]”.

Is there a way to get around having all ancestors duplicated?

That could be nice but I’m not sure how it would work. How would you decide which instance of each duplicated ancestor should be kept? And then how would someone looking at the report know that the excluded (duplicate) ancestors are actually known, if there’s no indication of them?

My assumption would be that that ancestor with the lower ahnentafel number would be kept… unless it was the direct patrilineal surname. In that case, I’d expect keep the leftmost duplicate.
But you’re right, a cross-ref placeholder to that documentation ought to be included at the higher ahnentafel numbered pedigree collapse. Otherwise, the reader of the printed genealogy has to play detective.

Would it be enough to provide a same person with two identifiers?

“85024. / 101408. Wortvin von Büren.”

Or is it a convention to really list both instances?

“85024. Wortvin von Büren.
101408. Wortvin von Büren.”

Here is the code in gramps/plugins/textreport/detancestralreport.py that writes the “same person as” message:

if self.dupperson:
        # Check for duplicate record (result of distant cousins marrying)
        for dkey in sorted(self.map):
            if dkey >= key:
                break
            if self.map[key] == self.map[dkey]:
                self.doc.write_text(
                    self._("%(name)s is the same person as [%(id_str)s]."
                          ) % {'name' : '', 'id_str' : str(dkey)})
                self.doc.end_paragraph()
                return 1    # Duplicate person

I can’t advise you on how exactly to modify it, but possibly you could change the text of the message, suppress it, or include other information.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.