AIO places User Directory in hidden directory for non-english installs

OK, I used the restore partition on my Windows testbox to return it to factory fresh.

This time, Windows was initialized for location in France and using Français.

It the beta2 install, there were a few livable oddities (I’ll do a follow-up) but one BIG problem.

Instead of installing the ‘gramps’ User Directory in %appdata%
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming
it installed in a HIDDEN directory %localappdata%
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local

Updated info: After reformatting the Windows machine again and re-installing for English Windows 10 Pro OS, the 5.2beta2 also installs the Gramps User Directory to `%``local``appdata%`

Another oddity is that the country codes displayed in the selector for Dictionary and Translations were confusingly different.

Except for the country locale code “en_GB” default, Translations uses the single primary language subtag based on a two-letter language code from ISO 639-1 (2002). Well, mostly anyway: Portuguese has pt_BR and pt_PT; Chinese as zh_CN, zh_HK, zh_TW. Yet en_US wasn’t even listed.

On the other hand, the Dictionaries has no discernible pattern in whether it lists a country locale code or a primary language subtag.

I also had a problem in that the French selections kept assuming a Azerty keyboard while my system has a Qwerty layout. In the OS, I had to use the Canadian French option. But the installer did not list a Canadian fr-CA option.

Also, the Dashboard titles showed another (almost negligible) issue when switching between languages as if a bi-lingual user.

The .ini file locked in the Title in the current language. And when you switch OS languages, the Dashboard does a weird mix of the other language title and the content in the current language.

Sing the Dashboard is the only view that allows renaming the Gramplets, there might not be a clean way of adapting. It is not a big deal since the user probably reads both language. But might be a problem if multiple users share the system.

Perhaps the ‘title=’ could be followed by a language= line? That at least gives enough info to make a decision later. (Maybe if the Dashboard is ever given a selector to bookmark different layouts.)

#### `Gramplets_dashboardview_gramplets.ini` ``` ;; Gramps gramplets file ;; Automatically created at 2023/08/27 15:42:26

[Gramplet View Options]
column_count=2
pane_position=-1
pane_orientation=horizontal

[Principaux noms de famille]
name=Top Surnames
height=230
expand=False
title=Principaux noms de famille
detached_width=400
detached_height=300
state=maximized
page=0
data[0]=10
help_url=None
navtypes=
column=0
row=0

[Welcome to Gramps!-1]
name=Welcome
height=300
expand=True
title=Welcome to Gramps!-1
detached_width=400
detached_height=300
state=maximized
page=0
help_url=None
navtypes=
column=1
row=0

</small>

I don’t know if this can be related but I’ve translated a lot of French sentences on Weblate Saturday, so if these ones don’t have a translation before they couldn’t be there depending on when you download the installer and when it was created.

We now support the XDG base directory specification. It was implemented in pull request #1368.

If an old home directory located in ~/.gramps, %userprofile%\gramps or %appdata%\gramps doesn’t already exist, and the environment variables GRAMPSHOME or SAFEMODE are not defined, then the XDG directory structure is used.

The directories used are as follows:

We obtain them from calls to the linked Glib functions.

The default locations can be overridden using the environment variables: XDG_DATA_HOME, XDG_CONFIG_HOME and XDG_CACHE_HOME.