Add Date field to attributes

I use attributes to record anything that’s not an event such as physical attributes, medical history and occupations. I think it would be an great feature to add a date field to the individual attributes to see entries in chronical order for some of the facts.

I kinda think when a Date applies that that information aspect defines something as being a Gramps Event rather than a Gramps Attribute.

So for Medical history, the Event is the diagnosis or a medical procedure. And the occupation is an event with a date range/span. (Which might be inter-spiced with an educational degree, promotion & retirement events.)

2 Likes

Lots of things that can have a date but that are so “small” or not important enough, that some don’t think it qualify as an Event.

And Attributes with dates and citation link would be nice for other objects than people, e.g. a change in stocklive on a farm, it can be a nice information to have, and it can change multiple times in a period for an owner, but the researcher doesn’t think of it as important enough to add 300 instances of it as Events… It would still be great to have it registered with a date, to be able to sort it chronologically… Especially since we cannot add Events to any “none person”-objects, e.g. places.

Or if a person changes their hair color 25 times while being a teenager… small fun facts, but not big enough to make an Event of each of them…

Or if you are registering vessels, or other objects, and you have some information about small changes to that object and when it was done, but you don’t think about it as important enough to create an Event for each of those small changes…

Or if a farm’s tax value changes, not an important genealogy Event, but if it changes in the ownership of your relatives, it might be interesting enough to be registered with a date…

And yes, you can add all of this as Notes or one Event for each… but Notes are not dated, and therefore you need a lot of extra work if you want it to be a “chronological history” of the object…

So, for many people (sorry…, for some people) dates on both attributes and notes might be useful… Just as attributes on Places would be useful
Just as Main - Subevents, and Places as subject for Events would be useful for a lot of “things”, especially if a researcher wants to differentiate how some of their information is registered.