What's Next - Utilisation

Hello,
What’s Next is an interesting gramplet so as not to get too dispersed in your research but:

1. Is it possible to make it operational on the active individual rather than on the root?
    Nb: The change of root being done relatively well we get there but it’s not very elegant
  2. The copy / paste works but the individual links are obviously lost what I think is missing is the individual ID which could remove the ambiguity on the names of the individuals.
    In the case of developing a research document

But this might not be the best way to do it?
Merci
jean-Claude
Linux Mint 18 Sarah Kde
Gramps 5.1.3

Hello !

I think What’s Next ? is mainly a gramplet for Dashboard.
But, to make it more “restrictive” you can use Tags and setting of this plugin as it seems plugin’s setting can be different in each Category (People, Dahsboard, Familly…).

To set Tags you can use Add/Remove Tag Tool plugin. E.g. : I used it to add two specifics tags “My direct ascendants”, and another tag for my wife’s direct ascendants, thus I managed to do without SOSA and much more :wink:

To use this tag you should need to set specific filters (You must give them a name to be able use them in Add/Remove Tag Tool plugin) :

I don’t really understand how restricting “What’s next” to one People (Individu) or to one Family would be useful. Usualy, when I need this kind of “stuff”, I create a “TODO” note (sorted as “First”) and thus Gramplet “Note” (plugin) show me first note I can directly edit with what’s next todos and this can combined with a tag like “Record completed” or a “TODO” Tag)

That don’t reply directly to your answer, but I hope this could help you :wink:

Fabrice

1 Like

Hello,
I had not explored the options of the plugin “What’s next” concerning the “tags”: Thank you for your explanations.
“What’s Next” advantageously replaces the preparation and use of a certain number of filters to achieve these results which concern close relatives - It is undeniable!
But if I understood correctly ??? It only takes into account the root of the family tree.
It’s a shame it could be an interactive introspection tool if it could be made to react to the “active individual”
Otherwise, we can always temporarily redefine the strain but this is not very correct.
This is what I wanted to express!
Nb:
Wiki:
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Gramplets#What.27s_Next
says that we can copy paste the result except that by losing the links Individuals Last name / First name are no longer sufficient to identify it The ID is needed
Sorry, I express myself very badly because I do not speak English or computers.
Thank you

As many users, I define myself as the main person (sorry I used “root” for the main person and “souche” in french ;)), but I think we should see this as a tool, a more “temporary” setting than a “fixed” one. (note there no specific numbering like SOSA in Gramps that should required a more “fixed setting” like this to work on your genealogy as it is in some other genealogy softwares).

So redefining the main person seems quite not “correct”, but is a good solution.

To copy/paste in notes ? (You can still ad a link to a person

Bienvenue au club ! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
J’aurai également préféré un forum classique avec une section Francophone :wink: et des sous-sections plus claires que sur discourses

Ok

OK

Indeed this is achievable but it is a shame to redo what already existed
I tried a Click / Drop to an Individual note which normally accepts this notion of Individual link during the transfer we can see the links but the final drop only keeps the text

Juste pour info Il y a un forum francophone d’utilisateurs Gramps hébergé par Geneanet :slight_smile:
https://www.geneanet.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=55945

Changing the Home Person (aliases: Main, root, souche) is the right procedure for changing the frame of reference for Gramps.

This flexibility is why Gramps IDs does not lock you in Genealogical Numbering System identifiers like Sosa-Stradonitz. Changing the Home Person allows you to evaluate the Tree from a new perspective. Those IDs would suddenly be ‘wrong’ from that new perspective.

Hint:
If you have Person that is frequently used as the Home Person (such as yourself or a distant cousin with whom you discuss research), you might want to Bookmark those Persons. This quick navigation to the person makes setting them as Home Person much faster.

1 Like

:+1: Effectivement, bien que je sois aussi sur Geneanet, j’avoue n’avoir pas fait attention à cette section. Merci :wink:

1 Like

Please note the discussion of a slight revision of What’s Next? as a potential addition to the set of Default gramplets for the 5.2 Dashboard.

This exposure might get the Gramplet back into the evolutionary cycle.

I agree that changing the Home Person to re-target the Gramplet is less than elegant. Since a few other Gramplets change their target (based on which View they are docked into), perhaps that might be an opportunity?

My thinking has evolved since then and I consider that an individual file is complete only when all existing main events have at least one citation.
Could the What Next gramplet integrate this condition?
Just for info because I’m not sure I understood everything

NB:
Maybe off topic?
I’ve been looking for a tool like this [that validates Events have at least one source] for a while. Specifically, a tool that could appear interactively in the GraphView with minimal clicking

This view is my reference view for entry using the context menus: edit, add spouses, add parents, et cetera. It provides me with permanent control over the entry of the main events.

For the moment, I use the Combined Relationship view Events Tab which shows the event, the quote, the media,…

Too bad there isn’t a shortcut from the GraphView view

Navigation between views is something we can consider. The Combined View was a prototype for this.

And the CardView experimental set of view mode addons by @cdhorn do 1-click navigation between its spectrum of view categories. And there is some control to which view mode is called too. It isn’t limited to navigation between CardView modes.

The links in What’s Next? allow right-clicking to spawn a Person Editor to rectify missing Event data. Or a Family Edtor for relationship type and missing spouse or Marriage Event.

But there’s no consolidated Object Editor for adding the missing relationships the gramplet reports around a Person, you’d need to link to navigate to a view for that.

If the gramplet adds alerts of missing Citations, there doesn’t seem to be an obvious place to link where that could be rectified.

If this can be done from GraphView it would be very ergonomic for my practice
I made Graphview my input tool but poor in supervision
So that’s why I thought of this shortcut
But as there is also a reflection on WhatNext I took the liberty of expressing myself
Could we possibly integrate finer supervision
Know: Do the main events have a defined source?
Simple beginner’s thought
There would be Cardview as proposed by emyoulation but that means adopting a new method…
I’m not sure I want to invest in it and stick with tools that I’m starting to know
Thank you for this Gramps software which I appreciate

Checking if your research is complete for a given person would be useful. The What’s Next? gramplet and Verify the Data tool do something similar, but for the entire database.

When answering a question like “Do the main events have a defined source?” you could use a view like the combined view events tab. In this case being able to quickly switch views would make the workflow easier.

Enhancing the What’s Next? gramplet is also an option.

There is also the call to the “Biography” express view which can help with this verification:
Several cases
1 - No event is sourced —> OK obvious reading
2 - Some events are sourced —> the sources are listed but unfortunately without citing the events concerned… too bad! This was exactly what I would have liked.
thank you for your attention

I don’t know if it could work due to the single-user constraints of Gramps but an idea could be a gramplet in which we could define some filter sets and tags, which would run permanently in a thread in the background. With 3 filter sets, one for all birth/baptism events with or without source (so a set of two filters), another for marriages and a 3rd for deaths/burials, if it found such events, it could add or remove a “Missing Source” tag to the event in question. This mechanism could be generalized to handle any filter sets and tags for any kind of objects that can be filtered and tagged. But, if such a mechanism worked, I don’t know what its side effects could be if filters made it do contradictory things (a filter removes a tag if it is present, another puts it if it is absent…),

The What’s next gramplet could then be configurable to tell it which tags to monitor, such as “Missing source”, in order to display the list of objects corresponding to this tag.

Or, when you are on a particular object, indicate if related objects have this tag (i.e. when editing a Person who has an event tagged with what has been configured as the tag to search for)

It could be an other way to do what @Urchello want to do in SQL in Using Gramps API vs SQLite: Creating Custom Queries for Genealogical Research - #2 by Urchello

I assume each person is unsourced unless I have applied the tag “sources checked”. So it is very easy to find unsourced records in my tree. I also use “no source found” when I have checked it and come up empty.

Of course the use of tags is very useful but my point here was: Having made the Graphview my reference view; Is there an existing tool “in the box” Gramps for contextual supervision which would allow me to quickly prioritize certain searches and in particular the entry of sources
And this in a minimum of clicks

To sum up:

• Combined View/Events is the one that best meets this objective
  • Biography but the types of events are not indicated
  • An evolution of What Next??

Why am I expressing this need?
Concrete case: study of a siblings of 14 children and their marriages (spouses possibly having the same surname)
I would only get out of this if I don’t stray too far from the reference graphic view because I am above all a “visual” person.

I created this discussion thread in 2021 but I have a lot of hope with future versions of Gramps which continue to bring richer and richer functions
THANKS