What patches are ‘vital’ to your use of Gramps 6.0.x?

There is another thread with: What patches are ‘vital’ to your use of Gramps 5.1.x and 5.2.x?
(That list still has REAL SOLUTIONS that WORK, but that have not yet been rolled into Gramps. But It was started 5 years ago in August 2021. Which means that it has completely fallen off the radar.)

But it is time to start a similar list for the 6.0 family.
(This link is to a feature list published for the Gramps 6.1 beta1 in April 2025)

Here’s one:

  • Fixes the active table row scrolls off-screen (for the Manage Family Trees dialog) when changing the sort column or sort-direction. (I have a LOT of experimental trees. Mostly for recreating specific support issue. So I switch the Family Trees dialog from sorting on Name to sort on Last accessed. Then have to scroll to the top or bottom before seeking . )
    The patch by @kku: gramps/addons/DbManPatch at master · kkujansuu/gramps · GitHub

Just curious, why it is an addon rather than a PR? That is just the short-term fix? Is there an existing bug report or feature request?

I think that it is related to “I can get it done and out today” versus “I don’t know if going through ‘the official process’ will ever get this to the community”

As an example, @codefarmer submitted a related tweak to the behavior of that dialog before 6.0.7 was released. But it missed being included in the forthcoming 6.1 release. It was rebased in June by @dsblank and a merge is still pending into the 6.2 master. (Nick replied positively today to a query about the likelihood that it being merged into 6.2)

In summary, @kku got a fix out as an addon in the field the same day the feature was requested … but the patch by @codefarmer continues to wait since December.

I use WebSearch by @Urchello and find the unsorted Attributes menu overwhelming and small textbox limiting. So, here’s a 3-file hack for the following Edit Attributes dialog layout:

In gramps/gui/ :

  • autocomp.py
  • editors/editattribute.py
  • glade/editattribute.glade

.ZIP available on GitHub (for Gramps v. 5.2 and 6.0)