What 'origin' for a surname gender variation?

A thread in the German Genealogy group on Facebook suggested the feminine -in suffix (or masculine suffix of -er) was a common social convention for southern German surnames. And they referred to this affix difference as a ‘diminutive’. (Is that the right label?)

How would such a surname change be recorded in Gramps?

As an alternative name of a different type? Probably not, if that was the surname used from birth? As a “Diminutive” Origin in the name definition?

It is related to the Patronymic or Matronymic but rather than indicating the name is derrived from the given name and gender of a parent, it is a gender-bent patrilineal.

I don’t have access to that thread but I have seen the -in suffix in church records from the 1800s for my ancestors in Baden. For simplicity, I chose to ignore it for purposes of data entry in Gramps. But (inconsistently on my part) I did choose to record some of my cousin’s female Polish ancestors’ surnames with the -ska suffix rather than -ski.

I’m glad Gramps gives users the flexibility to do whatever works best for them. I generally don’t do much with alternative surnames except when they change due to adoption. I do use the surname grouping feature.

1 Like

The female suffix is also common in Austrian church records, but I think most people/genealogists just record the name without the suffix. It’s a common social convention, but the suffix has no additional information.

Most genealogists don’t have software with the flexibility of Gramps either.

At a minimum, recording the diminutive Surname as an Alternate Name makes it findable when you have another source record using that form.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.