Upgrade database [XML version 0.0.0 from Gramps v2.x]

Don’t know if anyone could help, but I haven’t used Gramps in a VERY LONG time. So, I installed Gramps on Linux and tried to import my database. It was XML 0.0.0!!! That is, I guess the very first version of Gramps. As I understand from various docs, I would have to install the 2.x version in hopes of upgrading the db to at least that version. I actually ended up borking an entire linux system trying to get that installed. Anyhow, I wonder whether anyone out there might have the tools to upgrade my db? I’d really appreciate your help.

I suggest raising private bug report like these other people did as they have been helped by the developers to upgrade to a current version of the Gramps XML

Either create a bug report and put your database in it, either send it to me at serge dot noiraud at free dot fr

I faced the same issue several years ago.

The most reliable way is to install successive “main” releases of Gramps and to open your DB in these “main” releases".

You can tell if release is “main” by reading the release notes and seeing if the DB schema was changed in some way. You may need up to 5 or 6 intermediate steps. Of course, backup you original DB in case something goes wrong.

One thing this conversion process can’t do is to use the “new” records for existing information (in particular, the location records have been heavily augmented). This means you’ll have a huge manual work to sort out your data and tidy it up to put everything in the “modern” flavour of records.

Decided to take the easy route and take Serge up on his offer. So, Serge, I sent you an email with the db. Hopefully, you received it.
Thanks!

Yes, it seems more difficult than before. I can’t use gramps 2.2 on my ubuntu 22.04.
I am actually installing a VM with an old linux version.

Happy new year!
I just send you your database in 5.1.5 xml format.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.