Upgrade 5.1.4 to 5.2.3 (Windows 10)?

I am about to upgrade from my current gramps AIO 5.1.4 on Windows 10 to the current release https://gramps-project.org/ for Windows which seems to be 5.2.3

Is this possible (not too big of a leap?).
Are there any things to watch out for or be mindful of? (I will have made backups)

I have noted Direct upgrade to 5.2.2 from Version 5.1.6?

Currently
GRAMPS: AIO64-5.1.4-1
Python: 3.6.4 (default, Jan 23 2018, 13:17:37) …
BSDDB: 6.1.0 (6, 0, 30)
sqlite: 3.21.0 (2.6.0)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8

Many thanks

As with any major change, make sure to have a current backup of your 5.1.4 database. .gramps XML with no media.

If after installing 5.2.3-2, you can launch Gramps and it will automatically upgrade your 5.1.4 database for its use. Note, once upgraded, that database cannot be then used in 5.1.4. Generally, there is no issues with the upgrade.

I like to do an Import on a major upgrade.

If your normal setting is to automatically open a database when launching Gramps, the new install will ask you to do the database conversion. You can decline to do so. Now you can go to the Family Tree Manager and create a new database. After loading the new empty database, Import that latest backup you created of your 5.1.4 database.

Once you are satisfied that everything imported correctly and everything looks good, you can then delete the 5.1.4 database and rename your new 5.2.3 database to your regular database name.

1 Like

Yes. I did it, without problems, a while ago.

As advised I made a backup of my tree before I started. Then, as far as I recall is simply ran the 5.2 installer and my tree was automatically available in the 5.2. I think I had to reinstall some Addons and check my Preferences but otherwise all OK.

Only once I was sure my data was safely in 5.2 did I unistall 5.1.

All seems to have gone well. Many thanks for the tips & reassurance.

Windows gave the typical warning:

Windows protected your PC
Microsoft Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognised app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.
Application: GrampsAIO-5.2.3-2_win64.exe
Publisher: Unknown publisher

but that was resolved easily enough.

The console popped up with a couple of warnings

WARNING:root:Importing old config file ‘C:\Users\Fred\AppData\Roaming\gramps\gramps51\gramps.ini’…
WARNING:root:Done importing old config file ‘C:\Users\Fred\AppData\Roaming\gramps\gramps51\gramps.ini’

but didn’t seem to affect anything.

And as expected, I got the warning about upgrading the schema from v18 to v20, and all seems to have gone without a problem there too.

Now on AIO 5.2.3/Windows 10.

2 Likes

What this is telling you is that your configuration from and older version of Gramps is being imported to a newer version.

These messages ought to be DEBUG level messages rather than WARNING.

Filed as defect 0013464

1 Like