Unproven citations

I’ve seen some Emyoulation’s posts about unproven citations and I’ve tried them.

Are they only researches citations (wich could stand into notes)?
Does they really unprove something, if it is possible to do so?
To what for are they usefull?

I’ve tried them for couple weeks now, combining proven and unproven citations, attributes and report notes to explained conclusions. Evidence Explained is not very verbose about them. I know false-fail testing in IT to prove a test will be correct but I’m looking to learn more about that practice in genealogy context.

Do you use them and how, in general and with Gramps? Do you know any literature available on the net on that subject?

Thanks!

I use “Disproven” and “Unproven” in Zotero and Foam/Obsidian and a few other software I use, for sources/information that either does disprove something I have had unconclusive sources for or “Unproven” for sources that does not have enough information to be a proven fact, e.g., it in itself cannot prove a claim.

Disproven I use for sources that tells me that the claims I am researching is wrong, I also add this as a TAG to any incorrect sources/citations.

I also use:

• Unproven (Not proven claims in a source)
  • Unconclusive (the information does not give enough to make a conclusion)
  • Not Researched
  • Search without result (I use this for sources or documents so that I don’t need to search it again for the same Research object)
  • Need more information
  • Approved

All of this is research statuses for me, but the “Disproven” and “Approved” can also be used in the end result when I need to make a Note of why I have changed something or why I think something was/is wrong in earlier research/result/claims.

Not doing research in Gramps, so not using this approach in Gramps.

1 Like