Time slider choropleth using folium

An earlier discussion (just closed a few days ago, so I can’t post this there) mentioned a timeline slider on a map.

Here (or Here) is a python package for doing that. (Scroll to the bottom to see the image.) Imagine it representing where you ancestors lived (if you travel backwards in time), or where the descendants of a particular ancestor lived (if you travel forward in time).

Even without the timeline slider, it would be nice to be able to create such “choropleths” in Gramps. I understand they require some additional geographic data (polygons for the countries or states or whatever level of detail) but I think those are publicly available. Summarizing data by means of shaded polygons is sometimes preferable to a cluster of pins, many of which are arbitrarily placed (such as when an event is only known to have occurred in a particular county, state, or country but the particular city is unknown).

2 Likes

The research software Palladio use a timeline slider in addition to Facets.
Its also possible to do this things in i.e. QGIS…

I agree that it would be a great feature to have in Gramps, specially if it could be used in addition to overlay raster maps.