Stillborn as a coded event type

This might become a problem if we create a “Stillborn” event type. Consider the case where one twin was stillborn and the other survived.

Gedcom allows an “AGE STILLBORN” tag. I suppose that this would translate into an event attribute.

We certainly need something that is translatable.

1 Like

Hmmm. Hadn’t thought of that. And the longer stress of multiple birth labor does seem to increase the incidence of Stillborns after the firstborn… and Morbidity due to ‘childbirth fever’

The sharing of a birth event for multiple child births isn’t ideal either. (If for no other reason than drag’n’drag sharing has that ‘unknown’ Role hiccup.) It would be better if the Birth Events were inextricably linked separate events. On the other hand, it is REALLY hard to manage the sychronization when refining details ( the description, Notes, date, Sources, Places, etc) for twins & trips but easy for a shared event.

In that case it just does not make sense to share the stillborn event: One twin would have a stillborn event and the other twin would just have a seperate birth and death event. Or if users prefer to keep the birth event shared between the twins: both share the birth event, but have severate death events. (no stillborn events in that case)

1 Like

In this case I wouldn’t share the event between people.

I have a similar issue with “Immigration” events. I have a custom “Arrival” event for arriving at a place. In the case of a family all arriving in the US at the same time, they can all get an “Arrival” event. But some of them may already be residents of the US, so they don’t get all get “Immigration” events.

I thought more about it.

Since Stillborn would be an alternative Birth&Death event, would there really be a conflict if the Person also had a Shared Birth event? In this case, the Birth would be evaluated using the standard explicitly defined Birth event and only the Death would be the italicized alternative.

The event Type is part of the shared event. The same type must apply to all shared events.

One possibility would be to add a note “Twin of [sibling}” and then utilize the Link to that sibling. A simple “Twin” in description should be clue enough that if you are editing the event you might want to investigate its Twin.

The idea is that a person with the event “Stillborn” would not have a separate Birth or Death event. If a person had both a Birth event as well as a Stillborn event, the Birth event will always be the primary event.

And of course, a user would not need to even utilize the proposed Stillborn event. Notation in the description or an attribute can still be used to denote Stillborn.

Seeing that there were only positive reactions to this idea, I have submitted a Feature Request to add Stillborn as an event type.

https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=11554

4 Likes