Splitting last names efficiently

Gramps 5.1.6 on macOS 14

I’ve recently started using Gramps and imported a gedcom from Myheritage. So that’s been a bit of a clean up job.
Quite a lot of the people in my database have multiple last names, and I love that I can separate them and identify the type of last name (usually patronymic and location or patrilineal). However, splitting them manually is a pretty dull job for 1000+ people. Is there an easier way to do this than selecting each and every one of them and editing the last names…?

There’s an example script in the “Vivisection experiments with the Isotammi SuperTool” article. It shows checking Surnames (including Multiple Surnames) against the Father’s surnames to set Patrilineal types.

Thanks, I’ll take a look at it. Sounds like it could be a good starting point for a script that would get the job done, if I can find the time. Maybe not the faster method, but certainly more interesting than manually. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.