Source/Citations examples

Is there any other place I can find Source/Citation examples besides the wiki which has almost nothing. I have a old book for PAF that has a lot of examples that work for Gramps but is way out of date for digital sources. Mainly looking for example for sources from Newpapers.com.

I have newspapers.com as a Repository, the particular newspaper as a Source, and the date/page/column in the Citation.

There are several very dynamic threads here about Citations. (Such as Sources and citations: some thoughts by @Nick-Hall ) and there are quite a few expansions tagged for the 5.2 release.

Personally, I’d like to see a set of assigned labels for Citation Attributes that would be footnote, endnote and bibliography Override Citations. So you might be able to write SuperTool scripts that generated consistent exceptions to the format of the standard automatic Citation generation. (Like Newspaper periodicals found at the Newspapers.com archive.)

That way, if you had a Source that had a recommended citation format, you could just paste it in as an Attribute.

Like FindAGrave that provides footnote/endnote citations in the form:

Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/1075/george-washington: accessed 28 June 2023), memorial page for George Washington (22 Feb 1732–14 Dec 1799), Find a Grave Memorial ID 1075, citing Mount Vernon Estate, Mount Vernon, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA; Maintained by Find a Grave.

Or Newspapers dot com’s own recommended “Genealogy” format (they also offer APA, MLA, and Chicago alternatives):

Star Tribune, June 3, 2015, Page A2. via Newspapers.com (https://www.newspapers.com/article/star-tribune-pvt-henry-johnson-of-the-h/96270967/ : accessed June 28, 2023), clip page for Pvt. Henry Johnson of the Harlem Hellfighters is posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor in 2015 by user Topic_Pages

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.