Skipping a generation

Hi,
I am using Gramps 5.1.3.2 on a Windows 10 system.
I am working on a family of three generations.
I have found a boy, described as a grandson in the 1851 Scotland Census. He’s living with his widowed grandmother. The grandmother has multiple daughters no longer living with her. I don’t know which of these is his mother. His grandmother is caring for him on Census night and 10 years later his paternal grandparents are caring for him.
Until I can work out which daughter is his mother, how can I represent him on a Chart?
In the meantime, so he doesn’t disappear from the family, I have added an extra child (2nd generation) for the grandmother (1st generation) and named her ‘unknown’ and then added the boy as her child (3rd generation). I hope this is all making sense?
This is not a good solution because it’s untidy and wrong. It gives the impression that the grandmother had another daughter.
I would like to connect the boy directly both sets of grandparents and miss out the in-between 2nd generation. Is there any way I can do that in Gramps charts, please?
Look forward to hearing from you. And thanks very much for considering my question.
Cheers
Annette

Please include your Gramps version and Operating System)

1 Like

How about name her “ambiguous daughter” instead of “unknown”?

Thanks, I’ll do it.
Do you know if there is any way I can hide the 2nd generation and have the connecting line go from the grandmother to grandson in this instance?

The Associations feature is new enough that there is a only spotty support for it in reports & nothing that graphs it.

But the obvious data connect would be to add reciprocal grandparent/grandchild Associations to create the explicit relationship.

I prefer genderless Associations (where possible) to keep thing more simplified.

Thanks very much.
This is great. I can use Associations rather than take notes about relationships that are distant. Sometimes they show up in other relationships at a later date, e.g. marriage between children of neighbours.
Thanks again, I do appreciate all your help.
Cheers
Annette

What is a genderless Association?

Genderless means avoiding the variation specific to sex. Using the grandparentgrandchild and grandchild
grandparent reciprocal Associations rather than complicate it with the 4 pairs of gender specific Associations.

The original posting was a female ancestor to make descendant. So the gendered variant would have been the grandmothergrandson and grandsongrandmother reciprocal.

(Forgive the pedantic explanation. Figuring on adding this to the wiki.)

1 Like

Oh okay. The grandchild don’t really have its equivalent in French. Grandchildren yes but for grandchild, grandson or granddaughter are used. There is a grandchildren word used when speaking about multiple persons for that grandparents but for only one grandchild the sex is included in the word.

1 Like

That is the opposite of Norwegian then, Norwegian do not have a word for granddaughter or grandson, only for grandchild (barnebarn, aka childchild) (It also dont change if you are talking about one or multiple, one barnebarn, all the barnebarn). Interesting.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.