Share your patches for the SyncAssociations add-on

I did not care for the term opposite of Pallbearer either. (Interred is probably accurate for burial on land at at sea. And inurnments don’t have pallbearers?)

But terms like “Dearly Departed”, “Deceased” seemed no better.

Here’s a revised list (still uncomfortable with the Craftmaster and Trademaster prevarcations):

ASSOC_LOOKUP = {
"cM": "cM",
"DNA": "DNA",
"Blood Relation": "Blood Relation",
"Distant Cousin": "Distant Cousin",
"Coworker": "Coworker",
"Namesake": "Eponym",
"Eponym": "Namesake",
"Godparent": "Godchild",
"Godchild": "Godparent",
"Guardian": "Ward",
"Ward": "Guardian",
"Conservator": "Incapacitated",
"Incapacitated": "Conservator",
"Executor": "Testator",
"Testator": "Executor",
"Pallbearer": "Interred",
"Interred": "Pallbearer",
"Slave Holder": "Enslaved",
"Enslaved": "Slave Holder",
"Bond Holder": "Indentured",
"Indentured": "Bond Holder",
"Overseer": "Domestic",
"Domestic Servant": "Overseer",
"Trademaster": "Apprentice",
"Apprentice": "Trademaster",
"Craftmaster": "Apprentice",
"Apprentice": "Craftmaster",
"Employer": "Employee",
"Employee": "Employer",
"Landlord": "Tenant",
"Tenant": "Landlord"
}

It seems like some of these might be better as event roles rather than associations. A pallbearer could be a role at a funeral/burial. An apprenticeship could be an event with roles for master and apprentice, and that way would have the benefit of having the date range and place. I guess it also depends on what reports you are using and how you want things to appear.

1 Like

That seems reasonable.

An Apprenticeship event being added to the Vocations might see a decent amount of use. Since it would fall under the Custom Type controls, we could leave the disturbing “master” terminology to the conscience of individual users. Indenture also tended to a fairly definite date range and would be simple to describe with an Event.

And the unfamiliar term of “Testator” association could be implicit and disappear when using an Executor role for a Probate event.

@GaryGriffin Are you developing with the 5.2 master? Can you look at something? Nick recently posted a PR 1371 that would make drag’n’drop functional in the Association’s Person Reference Editor dialog. I’m curious about how that changes the Associations dialog.

While building a dialog mockup that would encompass the variety of outstanding requests for the editing of Associations, it became obvious that the Association was another variant of a Relationship. So here’s a mockup based on that:

1 Like

I am developing on 5.1 maint branch. I have not looked at 5.2 as I develop on a Mac and would need a build (I have not been able to build it myself given all the Mac dependencies).

From the PR description and code I reviewed, I dont think it adds the 2nd Association dropdown menu nor the Type option menu (for Reciprocal). If it does, then it needs the list of the reverse Associations too (which is not in the PR). I think this just allows DnD on the Associated Person.

Current proposed list is below. Couple questions based on this discussion:

“DNA”: “DNA”,

“Godparent”: “Godchild”,
“Godchild”: “Godparent”,
“Godson”: “Godparent”,
“Goddaughter”: “Godparent”,
“Godfather”: “Godchild”,
“Godmother”: “Godchild”,

Are these all needed? Cannot have two different lookups for Namesake. Which to use? And what is the reverse?

“Namesake”: “Eponym”,
“Eponym”: “Namesake”,
“Namesake”: “Named After”,
“Named After”: “Namesake”,

Are all these needed? They seem redundant

“Slave Holder”: “Enslaved”,
“Enslaved”: “Slave Holder”,
“Owned Slave”: “Enslaved by”,
“Enslaved by”: “Owned Slave”,
“Indentured Servant”: “Bond Holder”,
“Bond Holder”: “Indentured Servant”,

“Employer”: “Employee”,
“Employee”: “Employer”,

“Guardian”: “Ward”,
“Ward”: “Guardian”,

“Landlord”: “Tenant”,
“Tenant”: “Landlord”

I updated my tree with the changes Nick posted in PR 1371. This change allows for the Associated name to be DnD from the Person view. This change has nothing to do with SyncAssociation.

The Associations dialog has a hot spot for the Person entry. The rest has no change. Where it states the Person name (Delwin) the user can drag a Person on to it to update.

Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 10.40.46 AM

1 Like