Setup of VmBox Mint Gramps Sandbox

OK, I have set up a dual boot sPC with Mint 2.1 and have installed Gramps and it runs fine.

All dependencies are satisfied, all packages seem to be installed, as far as I can tell with my limited test at this stage.

For working on my gramplet, I have installed PyCharm community edition and cloned the current Gramps tree along with addons etc as per:
https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Addons_development

My problem now is that when I run Gramps under PyCharm - inside a virtual environment to keep things isolated, I get the usual complaints about GEvi2 and OsmGps not being installed.

Any of the commands to install those seem to install the modules into the main global environment, & I have not figured out yet how & can either install these into my venv or install them so they are usable inside the venv.

Just too much of a newb with all of this stuff :frowning:

As an autist, I have Aspergerā€™s, I have always had problems with complex directions, and I have learned to adapt by exploring, and only moving forward when I understand what Iā€™ve done, and where Iā€™m going. And normaly this means, that I only read manuals when Iā€™m stuck, and start with the simplest approach. That is the good old KISS principle.

In case of Gramps, this means that Iā€™ve never set up a virtual environment, because that would be way too complex. I learned how to run Gramps from source by trying, and only following the steps that are really essential, like getting the source and dependencies, run the build command, and then start testing. And when you have a backup of your .gramps folder, you really donā€™t need a virtual environment. You may change GRAMPSHOME, but thatā€™s about it.

In my setup, with a Gramps that I installed from source, sitting in its standard installation path, where itā€™s safe, I can run any development version from source in the usual way, by cloning, running the build command, and then running ā€œpython3 Gramps.pyā€ from the source folder, and when I do that, I donā€™t see any complaints about missing dependencies. And thatā€™s, because I run that in the standard Linux environment. This environment is also there when I open that Gramps.py with Visual Studio Code, and I bet that itā€™s also there when you use PyCharm instead.

I must add that I donā€™t really know what your virtual environment is. Did you set it up with chroot?

Quick follow-up: I just downloaded PyCharm, and when I started that, it asked whether I wanten a virtual environment, and when I clicked OK, and ran Gramps.py, I got the same errors as you got. And when I ran Visual Studio Code with that same Gramps.py, I noticed that on loading the project, it ran a script named activate, from a folder named venv, that was apparently created by PyCharm, and when I tried debugging, I saw the same problems in Visual Studio Code too.

I restored my trusted environment by removing the venv folder, and PyCharm, and now VS Code works like it did before.

There is a chance that you can improve things by hacking that activate script, but IMO itā€™s easier to use VS Code with maybe a few handmade changes to environment variables like GRAMPSHOME, as documented on the wiki.

Well, to be candid, I am very disappointed with Linux/Mint

All of the issues I have had in trying to switch, really put me off.

Everyone seems to imply that ā€˜if you only did your development under Linux, youā€™d have none of these problemsā€™, but I just donā€™t find things that simple.

Perhaps, after years of fiddling with it, all the things that are ā€˜obviousā€™ (and not worth mentioning) will also be ā€˜obviousā€™ to me - but not yet. :frowning:

Even porting my wxPython code/apps to Mint seems to be an uphill battle.

Even talking to my XAMPP server on the local LAN seems impossibly difficult

Not your fault, by any stretch of the imagination, but I had to say this :slight_smile:

I understand that, and I think that with todayā€™s tools, it is much easier to work on Windows than it was when I started with Gramps. There was no PyCharm then, and no Windows Subsystem for Linux, although the latter may not be a good choice if you want to make sure that your software runs on all Windows versions.

I fear that our wiki does not have much info for Windows development though.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.