Selectively filter out records while exporting data to web pages for living people

Gramps version: 5.1.5, operating system: Mac OS

I am looking for ways to have a finer control while generating web pages from GRAMPS. I can classify a record as public by adding a death event, however I would like to use a flag or tag for living persons whether their full record should be displayed or only a redacted version including their surname and possibly first initial should be included in the webpages.

In our family there are a few “living” members who don’t want to have their full names published in the web page while there are few others who don’t see any harm in publishing their full names. Is there a way to flag or tag records in order to differentiate between these two users groups ? Or alternatively can this ben controlled during data entry?

Thank you…

Welcome

There are many options for the Narrated Web Site regarding Living people.

There are options on the Report Options tab to include all, Name with no data, Surname only, a living place holder or excluded altogether.

Additionally, there is the Years after death setting in the Report Options. This is to keep a person’s information private even after death for the number of years you set.

If you are creating an Export file to be used with another program, on Export Options, besides setting an overall people filter you can set an option to exclude or anonymize living people.

Gramps uses the setting in Preferences that sets the number of years after a birth the person would be considered dead. The default is 110 years.

Thank you for the reply. However the problem I am having is how to identify two categories of “living” people who a) are ok with publishing their full names and b) who don’t like to publish their “full name” but only surname and first initial, in the Narrated web site. Thanks

Basically, you’re asking for an Override for specific people for the Living People filtering. That doesn’t exist.

There might be a REALLY ugly workaround. (I do not use this Report and am making some assumptions. So you should test for yourself how the Report interprets.)

You could set a Death (or Death fallback) event for the people who are OK with having their information online. Then mark that event as “Private”. It is ‘ugly’ because this will probably make that person be listed as ‘Dead’ on the page even if the online display of the Death Event itself is suppressed.

I’d suggest creating a Tag override Feature Request for the “Living Person” filter… but I hesitate because of all the liabilities involved in recording that someone INTENTIONALLY overrode a standard privacy protecting feature for publishing personal information online. (The laws vary in different countries. They are draconian in some parts of the world. So the programmer who added a privacy backdoor exploit might incur some risk too.)

For that, you would have to modify the code. I have not tried this myself, but I see in the file living.py:

else: # self.mode == self.MODE_INCLUDE_FULL_NAME_ONLY
        new_name.set_first_name(old_name.get_first_name())
        new_name.set_suffix(old_name.get_suffix())
        new_name.set_title(old_name.get_title())
        new_name.set_call_name(old_name.get_call_name())
        new_name.set_nick_name(old_name.get_nick_name())
        new_name.set_family_nick_name(old_name.get_family_nick_name())

If you tag the people who only want their first initial shown, then I think you could check here for the existence of that tag in person.get_tag_list() and then set the first name to be only the first letter of the old_name.get_first_name(), if appropriate.

To be more conservative, though, you might want to tag the people whom you know are willing to have their entire first name shown, and use only the first initial for everyone else. In that case, I think the code immediately preceding the above would need to change to consider the tag:

if (self.mode == self.MODE_INCLUDE_LAST_NAME_ONLY or
        self.mode == self.MODE_REPLACE_COMPLETE_NAME):
        new_name.set_first_name(self._p_f_n)
        new_name.set_title("")

But again, I haven’t tried any of this myself. And it would probably take me a while to get it right, as I’m not experienced in Python coding.

Because you are looking at a mix of scenarios, I do not think these global settings will work although the global option to exclude a living person’s data may still be a viable option.

For those that want their name anonymized you can create a new option in their edit window’s Names tab containing just what they want. Move this option into the Preferred Name slot (right-click). All other name option must be made Private, or they will still display in the Narrated Web.

When you print the Narrated Web, make sure to exclude Private information. You may also want to create a Tag for these special cases so that you can find these people again.

1 Like

The thought occurs that you might SHARE a death fallback event between all the People who give permission to violate their online privacy. (Personally, I’d get that permission in writing.) You might use a private “Cause of Death” type Event and put “Internet publication authorized. Privacy override.” The role would have to be “Primary” for everyone in that shared Event.

Then, if you want re-enable or disable the override globally, you just change the Event type between “Cause of Death” and “LVG” (a common non-standard GEDCOM event type for “Living”). By looking at the References for this Event, you can quickly find a person who changes their mind, double-click to open their Person Editor and remove the shared Event.

There is an add-on Custom Filter Rule for searching Roles: People with events with a selected role. So you can find People whose role is NOT “Primary” for the Event and hand correct. Or use SuperTool to change the Role for all shared instances of the Event.

Thank you for the clarification. Yes my intention is to get explicit confirmation from everyone that its ok for them to publish their names in the website. I am also in the process of looking into adding registration / login page to the published site. Ideally login using facebook to access this content. Also investigating the feasibility of uploading the gramps generated content into a wordpress site that requires user authentication. Anyone aware of this type of integration / plug-ins?

3 posts were split to a new topic: Integrate with WordPress

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.