Relationships between people and places

Can I add relations between people and places such as:

• owns
  • rents
  • lives

Where someone lives is similar to an address, but with my local history project, it’s properties, as in collections of fields and houses I’m interested in - and in any case I doubt if address look up will localise successfully.

I can add the people, and I can add places, as single points, which can at least stand for these properties, but can I add who farming there, and who they paid the rent to on some date, or even date range?

I can quite imagine this is a bit ambitious, but I hope it’s at least worth asking!

OS, Windows 11, Gramps Version AIO64-5.1.5-1

I think you have to wait for 5.2 to do that. Adding an event to a place will be possible in that version. So you can add an event telling the place is rented (with the role Principal) and share that event with its tenant (with that role) for example.

1 Like

All of those can be added as Events that relate a person to a place…
E.g.,

• A person owned a place (Event with a custom type) between two dates
  • A person rented a place (Event with a custom type) between two dates
  • A person lived at a place (Event with a custom type or Residence) between two dates

The "who was farming there etc. is one of the things I have tried to talk about regarding getting Events on Places, to be able to register chronological historical events on Places/locations

But as a “workaround” you can add an Event for this and link two people to the Event with separate custom roles and link the Event to the place… it will not be a place focused event, but you will be able to add multiple people and relate them to one place via an Event…

If using the renting as an example, you can create one Event for the Rental period, e.g. from 1890 to 1900, add the person/family renting the place as tenant (custom role) and the owner of the place or the person renting it out with the role of landlord.
Then you can create separate Events for each rental payment that you know of.

You can also do this for those farming there, create an Event e.g. “farming” or “harvesting” and add the person that is farming the farm with a custom role of “leaseholder” and the owner of the farm as the leaser (or what the correct name for it is in English, I’m not sure).

Maybe someday we get Main- Sub-Events in Gramps and Places as Subject for Event (Events on places), and you can reconfigure all your events in this history into one main event with multiple sub-events and re-relate it to the place as main relation instead of the person.

3 Likes

Thanks - I’ll give it a go tomorrow

1 Like

Yes - got that working. Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.