People name format – extending names localization to text reports

Hi,

Contrary to European usage, family name concept is a modern option on Portuguese culture; for example, on my Portuguese genealogical tree half of my ancestors lacks a family name. Gramps handles localization issues on Preferences, where we can choose a name format suited for each culture. When I switch to {Given Surname} layout, I get a clean and ordered People List View on Gramps display, as I expected.

However, this approach doesn’t extend totally to Text Reports! When I pick the Detail Ancestral Report, people listing on resulting .odt document complies with the choose format on Preferences, but Index Entry tokens generated to build an Alphabetical Index are always produced on the format {Surname, Given}, messing the Alphabetical Index.

How can I overcome this nuisance, achieving a properly customized Alphabetical Index?

Gramps 5.1.6 on Windows 11

1 Like

The detailed ancestral report uses the get_person_mark report utility to create index marks. This calls get_name which returns a name formatted as {Surname, Given Suffix} as you pinted out.

This looks like a bug to me. We should call the name displayer instead.

2 Likes

Thanks for your analysis. I’ll redirect it to Bugtracker
Bug report 0013155: People name format twisted on Ancestor report

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.