Order of options on Attribute drop-down

I am currently doing a large exercise in adding FamilySearch Identification numbers to a lot of people. Is there any way of adjusting the order of selections on the Attribute drop down menu so that this option is at the top?

I am using Gramps 5.1.6. on Kubuntu 22.04

Thanks.

I don’t know if there is a way to change the order - but for me a
keyboard shortcut works. If I type “fam” in the attribute name field,
it highlights Family Search. Enter-tab-tab-tab and I get to the value
field. Ctrl-C to paste, Ctrl-O to OK and it is done.

If Family Search is the only ‘F’ item, then you might get it with just
one key instead of three. I also have Find A Grave and Father Name in
the attributes list, so for me it takes three keys.

The Attribute Types are set in \gramps\gen\lib\attrtype.py

One of the lines is _DEFAULT = ID

You can change the default to any of the preset Types. I have changed mine to _DEFAULT = AGE as this is my most often used attribute.

Unfortunately, the Type you are probably using is not in the list. So hack the code further by adding the required Type. Do this in both sections of the code.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, are you using the _FSFTID attribute type, like the FamilyFSPersonFS addon?

Custom Types are sorted alphabetically and appended to the bottom of the built-in types. I think that if you want to add your custom type to the attributes built-in list, it looks like you’d need to edit the gen/lib/attrtype.py file:

For changing the order of Attributes records themselves:
The Attributes tab has control with 5 buttons: Add, Edit, Remove, move up, Move down.

1] this folder \gramps\gen\lib\attrtype.py doesn’t exist in .gramps in my user space. Linux is different.

2] Brian I am not using the FamilyFS addon. I didn’t know of it

3] I must have done this before because I also have a ‘FamilySearch Ident’ label in there. It’s going to be fun figuring out how to merge the results of those two labels.

Number 3 is actually fairly easy! Get a plugin called “Type Cleanup”.
When you run it, look in the section for People Attributes. You can
choose FamilySearch Ident and change its name to match what you
currently use. The cleanup tool will find every record with
FamilySearch Ident and change it to the attribute name.

In Fedora Linux, the file is in : /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/gramps/gen/lib/
and it is a protected folder. So you need superuser rights.

Sorry, that addon is called PersonFS and takes a little fussing to learn how to use. It likes to argue about the user name and password. (I find it easiest to edit the PersonFS.ini in the Plugins folder. Uncomment the fs_pasvorto preference and put your password in there. Then login into FamilySearch.org in your browser too to be on the safe side.) Use it in a separate Tree in case it mangles the data.

Note that _UID support is in the works. So you may have to migrate the IDs to a completely different data element.

I’d go for the _FSFTID if you install PersonFS. It is convenient to have clickable links to visit the FS profiles.

I would like to take a look at this PersonFS addon. I do a LOT of
research at Family Search. This may be useful … or maybe not! But i
would like to look at it.

PersonFS does not appear in the Plugin Manager or on the Gramps addons
web page.

Thanks!

The PersonFS addon gramplet is still in the exploratory stage for Linux and macOS only. Do not use without having a current backup of your data.

Download from the linked Repository of @jmichault (Jean Michault). Since that addon is not yet published, it will have to be manually installed.

And you might want to join the discussion about PersonFS.

/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gen/lib/attrtype.py

Is where I find this, But note that my computer
also has Python2.7, Python3.10 and Python3.11 which do not contain these sub-folders. Attrtype.py does not contain anything that I recognise as something to do with different attribute labels I am tempted to leave this because I never intended to stick my fingers into the Gramps code.

Thanks to bgee for type cleanup. That worked a charm, and removed the now unused one.

Must try this: “The Attributes tab has control 5 buttons: Add, Edit, Remove, move up, Move down.”

1 Like

Got it. Thanks! The install was fairly easy using a “git clone”
command. I had to manually edit the .ini file to get my password entered.

No time left today to mess with it. I will give it a try next week.

Last time I used the PersonFS add-on, it failed to find persons that already existed in the big FamilySearch tree, and when I let it add those, assuming that the search worked OK, I ended up creating duplicates, which I quickly found via the site.

I also noticed, that when you let it download persons from FS, it may download more than you want, like loads of custom events added by other FS users. That’s why I stopped using it, and only download new tree data with Ancestral Quest or RootsMagic, both of which have free versions that are capable for this job. RootsMagic also works quite well under Wine (up to version 7 of Wine), so I often run that next to Gramps in Linux. I use Ancestral Quest too, in a Windows 10 session in VirtualBox, because it’s more efficient when I download more than a few generations of persons, and also because it normalizes places, so that I don’t end up with places written in alien languages.

I took a look at the Discourse conversation about PersonFS. The last
post there was back in April. Obviously not very active …

This morning I gave PersonFS a try. It is not going to work for me.
What I want is to paste in a Family Search ID and have it pull up that
profile for import. So far the only way I see for PersonFS to get a
profile is to create it in Gramps, then ask for a search. By that time
I already have all the information from Family Search! That is not
useful for my workflow.

This observation about PersonFS should be in that thread.

But ive added the _FSFTID manually , set the import parameters really tight and then imported.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.