Order of family descendent tree report

Hi there,

Ive recently imported my GED into gramps and the reports look great. One issue I had is the order — when I output a Family Descendent Tree graphical report, it puts people in the order they were originally inputed rather than their birthdate. So I’m having to output a SVG and manually re-order which is not ideal.

I used Ancestris - which assigned them each an ID as each person is added. I suspect it is using this to order them. I wonder whether anyone has an idea of how to force it to use birthdate to order siblings?

Many thanks in advance,

Johnny

(using Gramps 5.1.5 on Mac OS 13.3)

This tool may help: Addon:BirthOrderTool - Gramps

Worked perfectly, thank you

This Birth order sorting tool has the annoyance of re-ordering children with no date data too.

(Example: You enter 5 children in known birth order. But you only have a birth date for child 3 and a death date for child 4. After sorting, the order will be messed up.)

So be careful using it.

I just checked, and it only does that when you click the ‘Accept all’ button. Its brother with an asterisk only sorts families where all children have a valid birth date.

1 Like

Ahh… that was probably there I last tried it. Nice feature but easily overlooked!

That means, the labeling is less than optimal.

I wonder how it could be made more intuitive?

The top section are just the disordered families. The families that are already well-sorted are hidden.

The asterisk marked are the disordered with unambiguous/distinct birth dates. ( I wonder if ‘about’ and ‘between dates with overlaps’ are excluded?)

Asterisks have no Implicit meaning. Just that there’s something of note. It doesn’t help that asterisks are wildcards in the RegEx feature either. So eliminating asterisks as a button label and column marker would be good.

A more familiar marker GUI would be deselectable checkbox in the list and a ‘Selected’ button. And maybe with a set of labeled filters for the ambiuity combinations: missing dates, date approximations, etc. (There must be some way that the Calculate Estimated Dates tool marks those dates… they are reversible. So filtering out those families with ‘estimated dates’ might be desirable too.)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.