Must i install from source?

i have Gramps 5.1.3 installed on Xubuntu 18.04.5 LTS. i set up an icon to start it. starting it for the first time gets 2 pop ups about OsmGpsMap and GExiv2 telling me to install these from source (without saying where to get the source). i found Ubuntu packages gir1.2-osmgpsmap-1.0 and gir1.2-gexiv2-0.10 that i think might be equivalent. does anyone know if these could work?

these popups are very hard to read. it would be worse if i were using a UHD/4K display instead of the HD/2K i have now. i am as old as a gramps had i been married and had children and grandchildren. i put a lot of effort into reading these and was about to finally see the names. one bad thing about these popups besides the tiny characters is that it does not let me highlight or copy the text so i can paste it into a terminal with larger characters. please add improving this to the GUI Experience ToDo List.

philhoward, do these instructions help:
(from https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Download)

For Debianopenlogo-32.png Debian-based linux distributions (Which includes Ubuntu 32x32.png Ubuntu ) Download the .deb file. Double-click on the downloaded .deb file or (for some distributions, e.g. Mint Debian) run the following command from the directory where the file was saved ( change the filename to match the one you downloaded ).

sudo dpkg -i gramps_5.1.3-1_all.deb

If you have an error about having unmet dependencies run:

sudo apt-get -f install

to install the dependencies.

If you see an error about language support when starting Gramps, run

sudo apt install language-pack-gnome-en

to install the proper language pack. You may need to replace ‘en’ with your own language code, like ‘nl’ for Dutch.

When you get it running, you can make some adjustments to Font size using the Theme addon.

under Edit->Preferences, in the “What to check:” box pick “New and Updated Addons”, click the “Check for New and Updated Addons” button at the bottom to get the list of available addons.

expand the “Plugin lib”, then checkmark the “Theme preferences”.
in the lower right, click on the “Install Selected Addons” button.

then go back to Edit->Preferences, in the top bar, scroll to the right end, until you highlight the Theme preferences. You might try changing the font size to 20. Also in the Theme box, there is a High Contrast option.

i already have 5.1.3 installed. that’s how i got those messages popping up when running it. i don’t know if it’s the exact same .deb but i could check on that. do you think this one has more stuff in it?

that looks like what i already have installed. the question i originally asked pertains to the popups when running 5.1.3 for the first time (no existing trees). do you need a screen capture?

I only had a suggestion for
how to get all the dependencys installed. A way to check is to add the
Prerequisites Checker Gramplet, then add it to your Dashboard.
Then it should report if you have the right stuff.

i want to be sure i have all the right stuff for every feature i might possibly ever use. so i was looking to install the ones in these popups. they described installing from source but i see likely candidates in the Ubuntu 18.04 repository. i am wondering if the latter can be used as it would improve package management. a future package i install might (also) depend on these which is why i would prefer to do it this way.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.