Merging Paternal and Maternal Trees -- Considerations & Steps?

[Gramps v5.1.6 - Win10]

Several years back I had created two family trees to separately capture the genealogy of my paternal side and my maternal side (each 15+ generations), so that any relative on each side can use the corresponding tree as a base to build his/her family tree.

Now I would like to join these two trees into a single family tree for my children (and siblings).

Before importing these two tree databases into a newly created tree/database I plan to reorder current sets of IDs of the two trees to start with different ID numbers – I1000 and I2000, F1000 and F2000, etc. This is so that later on I can easily discern which side of my ancestral line a given ancestor is from (especially because the two families happen to have the same last name on their corresponding paternal lines).

Are there other alternative ways to proceed or preparatory steps I need to consider?

TỊA

Were both trees created in Gramps?

I prefer to use “Maternal” (red) and “Paternal” (blue) Tags for the differentiating. You can apply (or update) the tagging of records using the Add/Remove Tags addon tool in combination with a Maternal and a Paternal custom filter.

This has the added benefit of color coding the Record rows in the Person Views too.

Yes both trees were created using Gramps.

Thank you for your suggestion of applying tags.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.