How to store a text with citations and media?

No, I didn’t “Suggest” that it should be a markdown editor, I wrote that it would benefit from being a full featured markdown editor… two way different things!

I have suggested an Editor with some more features in a thread in the mailing list sometime last year, but there was arguments for why not, and I think someone actually looked at some alternative…
And I have also asked for citations and a date field for Notes and got answers with arguments for why they don’t want to implement it…

You was asking about Citations and how to do things in Notes in Gramps, and then lack of features is a “normal digression” , but I agree, the whole PDF or Microsoft Word formats are bad or not discussion are way of…

You got my answer on how I would do what you asked for, and you got DaveSch’s warning .

There are other similar discussions both here in this forum and in the mailing list.

Sorry if I’m coming back to this thread subject :wink:

I’m currently in the process of reformat my sources to tell from who I’ve got photos in medias, even mine.

I create a source “Patrice Fund. Personal Photos” and associate medias of these photos to that source. Author is me, publication information is what I want (i.e. Digital photos from author from 2000 to 2020, Scanned photos from 1980 to 2000, etc.), repository is me too and repository reference is where I store them (dropbox, google, …).
I don’t use citations for them just that source.

For a grave’s photo I took, I add another source about “Grave of xyz, located at City name”, Author is me, repository me again with type “seen personally”. Then I create a citation “xyz’s Grave seen by author”, date it and join the media of the grave photo to that citation. Then I join the citation to the burrial event and often that media to the event’s medias.

For some other photos I don’t took, like photos I’ve scanned from my mother’s photos album, I do the same, one source for all media, and for each photo I’ve reviewed with her, I create another source “Photo of xxx, Reviewed with Mother’s Author”, Author: Her, Pub Info: Date of review, Repository: Her.
In that source, I share the media of the photo and add transcription notes saying what my mother told me about the picture.
Then I create citations of that source for each piece of information from transcriptions to share them with appropriate events. Sometimes I share one citation “Photo is Uncle Bob picture” to the media itself if she have told me who are people on the photo, to say from who media title “Bob’s Photo” come from.

2 Likes

Ha ha, oh yeah, that question.

In my efforts since asking that, taking some advice given, I have decided to never add an image to a gallery directly, rather I will create a media object to be the keeper of external links/references and then link other internal objects to the media object. In the media object I will include notes regarding the quality of the ID of people or things in the photo. For example: “Mom identified the people for me.” or “I personally am familiar with these people.”

As for locating the original image, I have made two repositories:
“Carey’s pile of digital things.”
“Carey’s pile of physical things.”
And the finding within those piles are described in the Source and Cert eg “Google Photos” and “Date mm/dd/yyyy image IMG99999.jpg”

The problem I am now having is remembering what I have decided. I don’t remember how I decided to do things, I usually re-solve the problem when I encounter it again. At least initially when I do not have a habit formed yet.

So I am attempting to document my best practice decision making so I can refer to it when needed. I’m using Evernote for this, but perhaps there is a tool in Gramps that would be better so it would travel through time and space in the same gpkg file.

Is there a way in gramps to document the structure being used? Gramps is so open and free of constraints. But it is not free of consequences that will be encountered at some future time.

You could create a single source with all “need to remember” Notes, if you use an underscore or something in the beginning of the name it will always be sorted to top of the list…
Add all your tips and tricks and important to remember notes to that source…

…or put the information in a note with the Type “To Do”

Then activate the To Do gramplet on the Dashboard where the information would be available.

Which option is better?? Which option would you better remember?

You would definitely see the stylized source record @StoltHD recommended every time you add a source/citation to a record. A constant reminder that the record is there verses how often you utilize the Dashboard.

Can use both, a “general source” and the to-do gramplet… One place to stor them and one place to view them in a glance

Does anyone know how the ToDo gramplet decides the sequence of ToDo notes?

It may say “1 of 17” … but how does it decide which is #1? It does does NOT show the Note ID and only shows the first of the References for shared ToDo notes.

Unfortunately, the first Reference isn’t Hotlinked. But you CAN click the Edit icon to bring up the Note Editor & use the References tab to see where the ToDo note has been shared. A bit awkward.

My take is that this Gramplet was rolled into the main prematurely. And once that happens, its Development is retarded. (With only 1 release a year, it just doesn’t have enough opportunity to evolve.)

Agree, I don’t use it…
I do all my to-do and research in other software, Gramps are great for register data, but there are still problems regarding the research workflow… but we have discussed this before and then I was told by someone that I just should “fork it and do it myself” and not ask for or talk about feature enhancement…

Regarding notes with the type set to “To Do” or “Link”; these won’t be removed if the “Remove unused” is used. The “To Do” type note is created in the To Do Gramplet.

1 Like

That’s nice to know. Thanks for mentioning it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.