How to sort marriages?

How do I sort several marriages of one person chronologically? For instance, if a person was married three times, I might have found out about the previous marriages after already having entered the details for a later marriage.

For now, Gramps keeps presenting these marriages in the order in which I added them. This can be confusing when looking at various reports.

So far, I haven’t figured out how to fix this. When looking at that person’s event tab, dragging and dropping does not seem to work. Is there another method?

I am using Gramps 5.1.3 on Linux.

There are extra Relationships View icons for persons having multiple relationships & sets of Parents.

Use the Reorder to bring up the Reorder dialog:

1 Like

In the Relationship view, if there is more than one marriage, there will be four icons above the spouse name for each marriage. The first icon looks like some horizontal lines and a small arrow and has the hint “Reorder families”.

Clicking on that icon will bring up a dialog box in which you can select a spouse and then use the arrow buttons at the right of the dialog to rearrange the spouses.

It can also be used to rearrange families if a person has more than one set of parents (for example, birth parents and adopted parents).

Allen Crider

2 Likes

A big thank you to both of you! It works like a charm! :+1:

By the way, it was a great idea to show the reorder icon in your response. I must have kept overlooking it for months.

1 Like

I strongly recommend turning on labels in Preferences for the Toolbar icons and Navigator until you are very familar with the icons. (Or when you change the Theme.)

Also, using the Drop-Down mode of the Navigator bar has similar value. Plus you can select different View Modes without first burning the time refreshing the View in a different mode.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.