How has the coronavirus affected you?

Got my mask. A neighbor had a few from the last time she had the flu (she had a new baby). And a hardware store had boxes of gloves.

The new normal.

Hello Nick,

Here, in the Netherlands, weā€™re staying at home as much as possible. Thatā€™s not different from the rest of the world. Unfortunately, there are no signs yet that the virus is really decreasing. But I was shocked by the newspaper report that half of the Dutch think they can just go on summer vacation. I do not think soā€¦

2 Likes

I was relieved to read the last line when realizing that your brother bestowed rather than bequeathed. :wink: Itā€™s nice when I donā€™t have to respond with condolences! :mask:

Are you frustrated by the ā€˜talking headsā€™ continually bleating that weā€™re in an ā€˜unprecedentedā€™ situation? As genealogists, we know that it is only unprecedented in living memory.

Have you been aggravated when trying to share the similarities ā€¦ only to be shut down by people claiming our ancestors were so primitive that there is no possible correlation to any modern situation?

In my home county, the quarantine was suspended when the infection rate became manageable. That was less than a week before Armistice Day. The celebrations brought masses of people together and the resurge in the death rate was horrifying again within 2 weeks.

My tree was pruned severely by the series of influenza waves from 1860 to 1925. Iā€™m not willing to quietly watch the current generation be culled because they failed to recall such expensive lessons.

1 Like

And now thisā€¦
Armistice Day in 1918, George Floyd protests in the US in 2020.

Does History have a cruel sense of humor? We may have a week to prepare for another lockdown.

1 Like