Gramps vs. MyHeritage?

Hi my name is Mette

I have started a family tree in my heritage, but it is limited to 250 people on the tree. I need to find another and not so expensive solution, and I found Gramps (havent downloadede it yet)
I know im talking to people who like Gramps, but I will ask anyway :wink:

• is there a limit on persons in the Gramps tree?
  • Can I share with others online?
  • Can I save my tree in a PDF or jpg file, in more than one designs?
  • What is the pro and cons for Gramps vs. MyHeritage?

Thanks and best wishes
Mette

2 Likes

There is no fixed limit, but Gramps could slow down with very large trees. Some of our users have trees with 20,000 people with no problem.

We donā€™t have a real-time collaborative web front-end, but you can generate static web reports suitable for hosting on a web site. [Update: Gramps Web collaborative front-end initially released July 2021]

Yes, PDF is a supported output format. What type of report design you are looking for?

1 Like

[MetteBundgaard] MetteBundgaard
https://gramps.discourse.group/u/mettebundgaard
January 26

Hi my name is Mette

I have started a family tree in my heritage, but it is limited to 250
people on the tree. I need to find another and not so expensive
solution, and I found Gramps (havent downloadede it yet)
I know im talking to people who like Gramps, but I will ask anyway :wink:

• is there a limit on persons in the Gramps tree?

I currently have over 60,000 people in my tree. It does have some
effect on performance, but it can handle the tree.

• Can I share with others online?

There are at least two web reports that can be generated by Gramps that
can be uploaded if you have a hosting site. Each has its pros and cons.
If you would like to see an example, I have both on my website:
http://www.cridermcdowellfamily.com. The first family history link is
to a Narrated Web Report and the second (alternate) link is to a Dynamic
Web Report. These allow you to share data, but there is no way to allow
others to make changes to your data.

• Can I save my tree in a PDF or jpg file, in more than one designs?

There are lots of reports and various formats available. Iā€™ve done many
PDF reports of subsets of my data to share with different people.

• What is the pro and cons for Gramps vs. MyHeritage?

Gramps is the only genealogy software Iā€™ve ever used because it is
basically the only one Iā€™m aware of that was developed for Linux. It
has improved substantially in the approximately 15 years that I have
been using it.

2 Likes

ok, thanks

I dont wanna put so much time and work into this project, if I cant use it all, and so that my family can enjoy it too.
So Im thinking, after looking at the different possibilities there are, mabe I have to make a webpage where my family can get access to the info, memberships.

Im good at Word Press, there is a plugin https://wordpress.org/plugins/treepress/ do you have any experience with this plugin?

If I use Gramps as my base family tree building on my computer, can I then transfere it to the plugin treepress? I dont wanna have to make the same work twiceā€¦

Im not a programmer, im good at layout and design, so my focuse is usability and apperance www.mettebundgaard.com , I can make graphics as family tree posters, family logos and so onā€¦

Not all done with it yet, as you can see on the double pictures, but you get the idea. I like that it is presented nicely, but it has to be stable and without surprises.

As for design, I think a chart with pictures and text, that looks good on a poster, and for printing out, put in a family photo book.

1 Like

Like MyHeritage made it or like thisā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t know wordpress nor this plugin but in its documentation it is indicated you can use a gedcom file as input to the plugin. Gramps can generate gedcom as export files so I think you could use gramps and this plugin without difficulties

2 Likes

It was something like that I hoped forā€¦ thanks for looking in the documentation. As I said, im not that good at the technicalities :wink:
But it would give me the stability of creating a stable family tree in Gramps, that only I can change on, and then share the information on a website for the family to enjoy.

1 Like

There is one review where someone is using GrampsAIO (our ā€œall-in-oneā€ installer for Windows). He gives the plugin 5 stars.

This response is too late for the party. But recent WordPress add-on developments might be useful for anyone reading older threads