Gramps Master starts in Arabic

Did a fresh install of master repository, but Gramps keeps coming up in Arabic on a manjaro linux system.

What are the values of your LANG and LANGUAGE environment variables?

en_US.UTF-8 on linux, gramps -v shows Ar.AA.

Which git commit? The commit is in the status bar.

1456d10 is the one I downloaded.

That’s the latest version.

Did you actually install it or are you just running it from the git source?

Did you remember to build it with python setup.py build?

Yes. I then deleted Gramps from system and did manual install of 5.1.6. Worked like a charm. Wiped gramps and did the same thing with master and now I get Resources not found. Reinstalled 5.1.6 and then copied over with master after doing build. Again starts up in Arabic. Closes I can figure is either its me or there is a problem with the locale files as using gramp -v shows language as AR.AA. I’ll work on it again tomorrow.

In what variable is that in your Linux? LANG? Or LC_TIME?

Fixed itself after a dozen tries.

Fix glocale problems on Windows by prculley · Pull Request #1516 · gramps-project/gramps · GitHub may fix this.

MacOS running Mojave. This is an old iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013). I downloaded the Intel beta and when it starts it is in Arabic. When I run from command line, it also starts in Arabic. It had the following log info:

مترجم القرابات العائلية غير متوفر للعة ‘ar’. يتم استعمال ‘الانكليزية’ بدلاً عنه.

2023-08-14 19:27:33.727: WARNING: relationship.py: line 2621: مترجم القرابات العائلية غير متوفر للعة ‘ar’. يتم استعمال ‘الانكليزية’ بدلاً عنه.

The relevant env variables in the terminal window are:
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

The following files were created in the gramps52 folder (it did not exist before running)

• gramps.ini
  • Relationships_relview.ini
  • plugins (directory which is empty)

There’s some discussion of the beta starting in Arabic on some systems. The discussion on Language detection became pretty active today. A bit later in the conversation John IDs some long-standing language detection issues.

More info on beta MacOS failure:

1. I suspect there is no BSDDB support since it is not found (see Databases)
  2. Starts in Arabic

Running printenv (culled for relevance) yields:

PWD=/Users/gary/Desktop/GrampsIntelBeta.app/Contents/MacOS
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Running beta gramps -v yields:

Gramps Settings:

gramps : 5.2.0-beta1
o.s. : darwin
kernel : 18.7.0

Required:

Python : 3.11.4
Gtk++ : 3.24.38
pygobject : 3.44.1
Cairo : 1.17.8
pycairo : 1.24.0
Pango : 1.50.14
PangoCairo: 1.0

Recommended:

osmgpsmap : 1.0
Graphviz : 8.0.
Ghostscr. : 9.21
ICU : 3.11.4
PyICU : 2.7.2

Optional:

Gspell : not found
RCS : not found
PILLOW : 8.2.0
GExiv2 : 0.10
Exiv2 lib. : not found because exiv2 is not installed
geocodeglib: 1.0

Environment settings:

LANG : ar_AA.UTF-8
LANGUAGE : ar:bg:ca:cs:da:de:de_AT:el:en
GRAMPSI18N: /Users/gary/Desktop/GrampsIntelBeta.app/Contents/Resources/share/locale
GRAMPSHOME: not set
GRAMPSDIR : /Users/gary/Desktop/GrampsIntelBeta.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.1/site-packages/gramps
PYTHONPATH:
/Users/gary/Desktop/GrampsIntelBeta.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.11/site-packages/gramps
/Users/gary/Desktop/GrampsIntelBeta.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.11
/Users/gary/Desktop/GrampsIntelBeta.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.11/lib-dynload
/Users/gary/Desktop/GrampsIntelBeta.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.11/site-packages

System PATH env variable:

/Users/gary/Desktop/GrampsIntelBeta.app/Contents/MacOS
 usr/local/mysql/bin
 /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/bin
 /usr/local/bin
 /usr/bin
 /bin
 /usr/sbin
 /sbin
 /Library/TeX/texbin
 /Users/gary/.local/bin
 /Users/gary/bin
 /Applications/GIMP-2.10.app/Contents/MacOS

Databases:

bsddb :
version : not found
db version : not found
sqlite3 :
version : 3.24.0
py version : 2.6.0

Fix glocale problems on Windows by prculley · Pull Request #1516 · gramps-project/gramps · GitHub may fix this. Found it on Windows but seems to apply to everything.

2 Likes

Applied the patch for grampslocale.py and it fixes the Mac version.

1 Like

Was the patch applied to beta2?

A Gramps for Genealogists Facebook group member just tried the Mac beta2 and an Arabic problem persisted in the Dashboard Gramplet titles for an OS in Italian install.

Daniele Cordella

Brian McCullough: in gramps 5.2 beta2 some lang files are not correctly found.

I use gramps in italian but attached is the page I see.

IMHO the text is in arabic, so in the first found lang (starting with ‘A’). This sounds like italian lang file is not found in some cases.

Yes. It was fixed in 5.2.0-beta2.

Once a gramplet title has been created it won’t automatically change though.

I’ll have to ask if that occurred for them with 5.1.6 version.

They did not mention having tried the beta1. But will have to confirm that.

Daniele Cordella Did that happen for you in 5.1.6 too? Or in Beta1 maybe?

Dashboard gramplets are unique in that you can Relabel them. But once a name is established, it is locked in. And there is no method for changing the language when re-editing the label.

Could you try closing/removing all gramplets displayed in the Dashboard view, close Gramps, re-open and add the Gramplets back to the Dashboard.

Daniele Cordella replies:

Brian McCullough
Did that happen for you in 5.1.6 too?

No, 100% no.

Brian McCullough
Or in Beta1 maybe?

Beta1 is unusable. I get ALL in arabic.

Brian McCullough
Dashboard gramplets are unique in that you can Relabel them. But once a name is established, it is locked in. And there is no method for changing the language when re-editing the label.

Could you try closing/removing all gramplets displayed in the Dashboard view, close Gramps, re-open and add the Gramplets back to the Dashboard.

Dropping gramplets, closing beta2, running beta2 again and adding gramplets once again the names are correctly displayed in italian.