Gramps 5.2.0 with unexpected error (Filter)

Before upgrading to 5.2.0 I made a backup with 5.1.6 and named it with a specific name.
After upgrading to 5.2.0 everything went OK (also the integration with Gramps Web was fine) so I added alot of people to my family tree with the upgraded version.
I made regulary backups after every changes in the family tree.
After the final backup I created a search condition: Show people that has more than 3 iteams in their gallery.
Starting the search and BANG!!! got this error message:

Gramps has experienced an unexpected error.
Your data will be safe but it would be advisble to restart Gramps immediately ...

OK - I did restart Gramps and now I get the same error message ā€¦ canā€™t start any family tree.

Help is needed to get my family tree back !!!

This sorta sounds like a setting corruption.

Before starting this test, note the path to your databases in preferences. If it isnā€™t the default path, you may need to reā€enter that during the test.

Could you go to your Gramps User Directory and rename (donā€™t delete) your gramps.ini file.

Then start Gramps again. Are you able to load the Tree?

It is also possible that the problem is with a bad custom filter or Rule in the Media. Now Gramps tries to restore to the problematic view and filter when restarting.

Running 5.2.0-1 on Win10

I created a filter:

General filters: People with <count> media with the values 3 and must be greater than.

The patched filter ran smoothly and returned 69 records.

After seeing the Bug 0013227 with the ultimate fix PR 1659 I double checked my code and I had installed this patch.

I can confirm the patch solves this filtering issue.

3 Likes

Thanks @DaveSch

That issue has a workaround by starting Gramps from the Command Line (Terminal) with some switches to use defaults instead of saved settings.

gramps -D F

The description is: ā€œThis CLI command causes Gramps to clear out or return to defaults the desired settings. Filters are cleared. Any custom filters are removed.ā€

I wonder if by ā€œare removedā€ this deletes all custom filters? Or just deselects them from the Filter gramplet?

Rule incompatibilities and malformed custom filters are likely to be a recurring issue. So it would be good to document a non-destructive workaround.

For reference:

The bug affects 3 rules:

• HasCommonAncestorWithFilterMatch
  • HavePhotos
  • HasTextMatchingRegexpOf

I made a bug report and got an answer from CallMeDave (developer):

1. Try safe mode first from the command line
    Gramps 5.2 Wiki Manual - Command Line - Gramps

then because we have worked out it is a filter try to reset the defaults for
filters
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.2_Wiki_Manual_-_Command_Line#Safe_mode
using

gramps -D F

note that using ā€œFā€ means Filters are cleared. So Any custom filters are
removed. Moderator note: The custom_filters.xml file is entirely deleted. ALL your custom filters will be gone.

And that solved my problem ā€¦ airborne again.
Thanks for all your input !!!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.