Gkpg file created with Gramps 3.4.9-1

Gramps AIO64 3.4.9-1.
Windows 11.
I can’t open my gkpg file.
Version 3.4.9-1 doesn’t work in Windows 11.
The new Gramps version can´t open my gkpg file.
Everything worked fine in my old Windows 8.1 computer.

Please double-cleck the filetype. I do not recognize a .gkpg file format… but .gpkg (Gramps PacKaGe) is the compressed Gramps XML backup format that includes media objects.

The modern .gpkg format can be expanded with 7-zip, allowing the restoring of the .gramps compressed genealogical tree and media files to be dealt with separately. (This eliminates the hassles of resolving relative filepaths and overwriting of duplicate file complaints.) Extracting the .gramps should also eliminate the likelihood that the .gpkg file has become corrupted.

Once you have the .gramps file extracted, try importing that into a blank tree and, if there is a error, please include the actual error message.

Or do you have .gbkp files instead of .gpkg files?

(It looks like .gbkg is a deprecated backup format that archived compressed pickled database files instead of XML files. Found in the Gramps 4.2.x backup developer docs.).

I just repeated your steps on Windows 10 with Gramps 5.1.5, and didn’t have trouble. I used the backup file with the “.gpkg” extension that was created by Gramps 3.4.9-1.

Can you tell more about what happens when you try to run Gramps on Windows 11?
(maybe some screen shots of error messages)

1 Like

Just to clarify. Is the problem…

that the old version of Gramps, 3.4.9, will not install on Win11?

or

that with 3.4.9 installed on Win11, you cannot import your backup with media .gpkg file?

1 Like

Everything works fine now. Thanks a lot.

On Saturday, November 12, 2022 18:29:46 CET, D.A.Lordemann via The Gramps Project (Discourse Forum & Mailing List) notifications@gramps.discoursemail.com wrote:
| lordemannd

I just repeated your steps on Windows 10 with Gramps 5.1.5, and didn’t have trouble.
Can you tell more about what happens when you try to run Gramps on Windows 11?
(maybe some screen shots of error messages)

What resolved the problem? (To help the next person experiencing this symptom.)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.