Fictitious Calendar - How to create one?

Terrific! That is the feeling I got when I read your earlier message. And no the calendars don’t need to sync up.

So, for those interested here’s my plan of attack:

1. Look into the sdn conversion
  2. If it proves (too) difficult work with text based entries for the time being
  3. Potentially continue working on the sdn esp if the text based entries produce issues.

Should I come up with anything worthwhile I’ll make sure to share :slight_smile:

Thanks again for every reply! You guys are awesome :smiley:

1 Like

Please note for Ficticious world purposes, you might want explore a couple features:

• in the forthcoming 5.2 version of Gramps, Serge has added support for custom map tiles. So you would be able to use one of the gaming world builder website to draft your world, and save the map tiles. The cities coordinates can be plotted interactively. Then Gramps can plot your characters movements. (It is a bit of effort but the custom tile patches are available on GitHub & work when applied to 5.1.5 version.)

• the experimental CardView add-on has expanded timeline capabilities. The Relationship categry’s CardView view mode will plot family member events in relation to an individuals.

• Gramps has extensive alternative personal (and Place) Name options. Including support for recording names changing over time. e.g., cadet nikkie todd from year 1416 to year 1418, Lt. Nicholas todd from 1419 to 1426, Capt. Nik X. Todd on…

Wow! That sounds like a dream come true!! I had had ideas about the map feature but dismissed it as being too different. I actually did create a map of my world using Hexographer/Worldographer - perhaps you have heard of it?

It’s a great tool for drawing hex maps and since I lack any drawing skill that was a huge asset. I will look into exporting/importing on all that.

The other things you mentioned sound very interesting too. Thank you very much! I am learning about new features of gramps basically every time I interact with it. It’s awesome :smiley:

All the map services use 256x256 pixel square tiles. So there’ll be some converting needed from hexes. But I’ve seen blogs where people are doing that.

Noted it in passing since I’m not a gamer and had no need to learn how. My interest was in using historic maps, stretched & deformed to be accurate but still maintain the aesthetic.

Thanks for the tip! I’ll keep you oosted on any progress but as I said: expect this to be weeks/months not days.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.