Extract data between two dates

Hi
i am using gramps version 5.1.5 portable on Windows 10.
I would like to know if it is possible to produce a report on who existed between 2 dates and preferable their age at the end. I am hoping this will make it easier to compare the results against such records as passenger lists or census records.

Welcome

I can think of no report. But there may be a way to filter the database to find the people.

In the People view, create a Custom filter (menu >> Edit >> Person Filter Editor).

General Filters >> People probably alive

It will ask for a date parameter. Use: between <date1> and <date2>

Now something to be aware of.

Filters like this will evaluate date filters with the definitions of β€˜about’, β€˜before’, and β€˜after’. In Gramps, these actually have specific meanings which are set in Preferences. The default is 50 years.

A birth event with the date β€˜about 1900’ Gramps will evaluate as valid for any date between 1850 and 1950. 'before 1900’ would be between 1850 and 1900. β€˜after 1900’ would be between 1900 and 1950. You can alter these numbers.

Gramps will also look at the setting for Maximum age probably alive. The default is 110. This is important for an individual with no Death information. But combining this with an β€˜about 1900’ birth date, that person would be considered alive out to 2060.

FYI: I altered my β€˜about’, β€˜before’ and β€˜after’ limits to 5 years. Something to consider.

Here’s another way to use Before and After (assuming you have stored birth and death dates for people). Instead of changing the defaults from 50 years to something smaller, you might want to make them larger, as I needed to in the following example:

I wanted to see who was alive in 1950. In the People category view, in the sidebar filters, I entered β€œBefore 1951” for the Birth date, and β€œAfter 1950” for Death date. With the defaults of 50 years, the results did not include my great-grandfather who was still very much alive then, because he was born before 1900. Increasing the Before and After thresholds in the Preferences to 100 years made him appear. (I could just as well have used 1,000 years for this purpose.)

Personally, I avoid using β€œbefore”, β€œafter”, and β€œabout” for any event dates that I store, and use them only in filters like the example above. If you do use them for dating events, and export your data to GEDCOM for use by other people or sites, be aware that they will not know what your definition those terms is, since they are stored only as preferences in your Gramps installation.

Using, β€˜about’, β€˜before’ and β€˜after’ as a parameter in a filter will limit the reach of the span of time and not be a true absolute that we see when establishing the place hierarchy. Putting β€˜before 1951’ as a filter for births only returns births that returned as true if the date fell between 1901 and 1951 (using the 50 year default).

I am not sure why this is the case, but probably explains why the preferences as set to 50 years.

If you want all births before 1951 it would be better to use as the filter β€˜between 1 and 1951’

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.