Event Reference Editor not remembering column spacing

Under the Source Citations tab in the Event Reference Editor, the column spacing keeps reverting back to default. Remembers spacing in under the Attributes tab. So far this is the only place I see this happening.

1 Like

This functionality was probably written before the persistent column widths PR was merged. I’ll fix it.

The event reference editor has two “Source Citations” tabs. When you exit the editor it writes the column widths back to a configuration file. The problem is that the “Reference information” tab is written first and then overwritten by the “Shared information” tab.

A further problem is that if you invoked the event reference editor from the person editor, it also has a “Source Citations” tab and will write its column with back on exit.

This is not unique to the “Source Citations” tab. It also happens with the “Attributes”, “Notes” and other tabs.

I’m not quite sure what to do about this.

Cc: Push push@noreply.github.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 2, 2023 at 10:31:08 AM CDT
Subject: Re: [gramps-project/gramps] Set default column size in list views (PR #1487)
ea89bb9 Set default column size in list views

@emyoulation That commit is related to views rather than editors.

Report filed:
0012945: tabs in the Event Reference Editor revert the column spacing

We could add a suffix to the _name depending on the context.

@Nick-Hall I have a fix for this that is pretty simple that adds support to override the class name in get_config_name(). Tested and worked fine for the event ref editor.

Do we want to allow users to customize spacing for every embedded list in every editor separately?

If so are you okay with me no longer using the class names at all and follow a convention like “event_ref_editor_note_tab” and “event_ref_editor_ref_note_tab” across everything? Or just do the bare minimum to resolve the issue and don’t reswizzle all the others?

Bug #12945 is assigned to me. Please work on unassigned bug reports in the future so that we don’t duplicate our efforts.

I have also been looking at this and my conclusion was the same. Each tab needs its own configuration setting as Serge suggested.

@cdhorn OK. I have now assigned it to you.

Fix committed 20Aug2023 by CDHorn to gramps maintenance/gramps52 f63b9b4f