Documentation, Server Configuration, variables

This may appear contradictory to the non programmer: “Boolean” I believe refers to a “1” or “0” value, but the text refers to “True” or “False”.

Interestingly, the Docker install on my openSuse Leap 15.5 made no complaint, but the fresh Docker, fresh grampsweb install on a fresh Pi4b, objected to my use of “False” as a value.

Flask is a Python package and when using a configuration file, the admissible boolean values are True and False.

Using environment variables it’s a bit different, since environment variables are always strings. From the Flask docs:

When adding a boolean value with the default JSON parsing, only “true” and “false”, lowercase, are valid values. Keep in mind that any non-empty string is considered True by Python.

Thanks for the reply. My comments are more from the perspective of someone attempting to follow guides to get a system operational.

The distinction, in this context, between using a “configuration file” and “Environment Variables” to set values of interest is unclear to me.

While it is clear values may be set in the configuration file, does not set the Environment Variables when read? When I check variables within a container, they appeared to reflect, exactly, what was in the configuration file.

For example:

:~> docker exec grampsweb_celery env
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
. . .
GRAMPSWEB_EMAIL_USE_TLS=false
. . .
GRAMPSWEB_EMAIL_HOST=192.168.0.123
GRAMPSWEB_EMAIL_PORT=25

To check my interpretation of the docs, are those settings rational for a “clear text” setup?

Hi, I’ll try to make this clearer in the docs.

At it’s core, Gramps Web API is a Flask App. Please see Configuration Handling — Flask Documentation (3.0.x) for details about how flask’s configuration system works.

1 Like

Thanks. It seems quite complex, but it does allow me a bit better grasp of things. Since I’ve managed to get the email notification going, my immediate need is satisfied.

Thanks for pointing out the gaps in our docs - they can be hard to see for developers.

You’re welcome. And thanks for tolerating my often confused state. Which is no doubt about to get more so as I approach adding SSL to the mix.

It is a bit intimidating.