Dateval field of Date object content

Using Supertool I’ve displayed the dateval field content of Date objects. Could someone tell me what is the False last field of the dateval tupple? And what makes it to become True?

(about that question (fr))

Seems likely that True would be the dates generated by Gramps Calculate Estimated Dates tool (or other similar tools) as disposable placeholder dates.

1 Like

That raises the question of whether the Gramps export tools are smart enough to strip off these guesswork dates?

Guess it is back to the example.gramps to do a test series!

The last item in a Dateval is a boolean that indicates a “slash” formatted Julian date. From the wiki “And typing a slash after the year followed by a value 1 year later creates a Julian dual dated entry.” From the code;

“Slash date is given as year1/year2, where year1 is Julian year, and year2=year1+1 the Gregorian year.
If slash is True, then the date is in the form of 1530/1”

I’m not personally familiar with this type of dating, so I an not too clear on how this is used.

Paul C.

2 Likes

Ok. Good info.

Do you know how the generated dates are marked? When I did tests a couple years ago, it was smart enough to recalculate estimates where new data allowed more fine tuning. So it seems like it must be tested somehow.

Until 1752 in England and Wales, officially, the year went from 25 Mar
to 24 Mar. The next day after 31 Dec 1699 was 1 Jan 1699/00. Ordinary
people tended to count from 1 Jan. Documents and transcriptions for
dates between 1 Jan and 14 Mar are often ambiguous or mistaken. The dual
dating option in Gramps enables clarity.

David Lynch

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.