Can't load gedcom

Hi all,
I installed Gramps on my laptop last week. I want to change from Rootsmagic to Gramps. I think Rootsmagic is OK, but Gramps is maybe better. My database is quit big.

My database contains 430.000 persons, and it’s size is 178 MB. I made a new database in Gramps, and tried to import my gedcom into this database. But Gramps didn’t start to import my data. What’s going wrong?
The gedcom is made by Rootsmagic, but I thought, that doesn’t matter.
I’m using Gramps 5.2.3 and Windows 11
Gr. Pieter

It will churn a while (see performance test results) importing 430k People from a 178 MB file. But there will not be a “busy” indicator or progress dialog.

Hey Pieter, nice to see you here.

The import can be done, but it will take a while, like half an hour, or more. It also helps to exclude some RootsMagic specific data on export, like this:

afbeelding

Multimedia links may work if you have them, but I normally exclude them.

And sometimes, starting Gramps in console mode may show some extra information about the import.

1 Like

Hi Pieter,
welcome.
After importing, check randomly whether the data is where it should be. After importing, copy the log into a text file to check for import errors.
Are there any marriage witnesses in your file? They are not being transferred correctly.

I’m running this test right now, on my laptop, and the mouse pointer shows busy, and there is a progress bar at the bottom left of the Gramps window.

And on this laptop, i5, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Windows 10, it’s been running for more than an hour, and it’s not done yet, so the total time will probably more than 2 hours, with 300,000 persons.

1 Like

The GEDCOMs that I import as tests are probably processing too quickly to show any progress indicators.

Probably, yes. I have a Charlemagne tree which has more than 600,000 persons in it. It comes from a GEDCOM that was once exported from PAF, by a fellow Dutchman, and PAF can import that in a few minutes. And it can even do that on my Toshiba 470CDT, which is about 25 years old, and equiped with a Pentium MMX, 64 MB RAM, and a 2 GB HDD.

RootsMagic 10 is much newer, and bigger, does not run on that old laptop, but its performance is quite similar. And it looks like it can achieve that by processing one table at a time. That’s at least what the import progess dialog suggests, and it’s a well known way to optimize tasks like these, because it makes it possible to make sequential writes to the database file. And RM is also SQLite based.

I imported this tree into Gramps years ago, and it loads pretty fast, but finding distant relations is slow, and the deep connections Gramplet is slow too. Check and Repair can take hours, so I’m glad that our current DB is quite stable.

1 Like

The mouse pointer on my screen shows busy, but there is no progress bar on the left corner on my screen. If I wait half an hour, there will br no changing. There is no progress bar.
If I do Control-Alt-Delete, I see Gramps in the menu, and it tells me, there is data progress. That’s all.

I think, that’s a good idea. I’m going to try this as soon as I can.

Hi,
I’m sorry, but there is no data import. There is no progress bar at the left corner in the bottom of my screen. If I wait half an hour, or longer, nothing changes.
I made a new Gramps project, and it’s empty, then I selected “import gedcom”

It’s okay to me, if I see a progress bar, I want to wait. But there isn’t.

I just started a new test, on Windows 11, where I see this:

afbeelding

Import is relatively fast here, because this is a games PC.

Can you test it with a smaller gedcom from your older Program ?

I’m sorry, I have no smaller gedcom. Even split my gedcom is a problem. I tried already. I hoped, when I split the gedcom, I can import it partial. But that either doesn’t work.
I posted the list of failures I get. Errors like this, I get earlier, when I tried to switch to another genealogysoftware.
It seems rootsmagic makes spaghetti from my gedcom.
I become a little bit hopeless

Just do a gedcom export of a few people and families to test it.
You import this gedcom into Gramps and see if it works at all.
If your small gedcom get imported then the large gedcom will work too.
You start the import and just let it run overnight. My 70,000 people also took ages to import.
Don’t worry, it will be fine.

If you want, I can take a look at the gedcom…

Here’s a GEDCOM for testing. It was created by Frans Roelvink, to be shared freely. It’s old, but finding a newer version was more work.