Assign an event to a group of individuals

in my database, in some cases, death is omitted and this concerns a substantial number of people who, starting from 1490, are certainly not alive. Is there a tool that allows you to classify a range of people as deceased without having to intervene on each individual?
Thank you.

Does the Calculate Estimated Dates addon meet your requirements?

It follows on the Probably Alive concept.

You could increase the maximum age to a couple centuries. That would start finding the MUCH older part of your database.

To avoid manually selecting of every individual to Add, there is a Select All checkbox for adding to the overaged individuals found to be missing a Death.

I think I would add only the automatic death events, not the Birth Events.

And, as always, BACKUP before using tools that modify data.

Gramps knows that all these people are no longer alive and treats them as such.

In your Preferences’ Dates tab, there is a “Maximum age probably alive.” The default is 110. So anyone without a death event will be considered dead today (23 Jan 2020) if they were born before 23 January 1910 by the program. Changing that number will move that threshold date.

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Settings#Dates

Personally, I have a problem entering a contrived date. Just because you do not know the death, why give them one. This is how erroneous information becomes “facts” for future genealogists. Just my 2 cents.

Thank you very much. Seems to have worked. I made two steps: the first setting the limit to 150 years, the second to 120. However, I removed the flag to overwriting the pre-existing estimate data (not that there were any), to make the two steps coherent and considering making use of the to this plugin only in this case.

1 Like

Thank you. Right considerations.

The GEPS discussion talks about using the tool to add updated Death Events simply for performance & filtering reasons.

You’re right though. Import/export conversion incompatibilities DO tend to mangle soft dates (like “calculated after 1790”) into hard dates (like “1790”). And short date formats in many graph views drop that distinction too. (It would be nice if the tilde was employed more consistently for approximated years. It survives cut&paste as plain text. Plus, it is represented on most keyboards.) But using added estimated dates ARE helpful in distinguishing between a couple dozen un-dated "John Doe"s listed in the People View by providing their approximate eras.

≈ symbol : asymptotic to; almost equal to
~ symbol : approximately
≅ symbol : is congruent to; very nearly equal
=~ symbols : approximately equals

Date quality in GEDCOM exports

If considering date qualifiers, you should be aware of this proposed change to GEDCOM exports.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.